Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialing via Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscaton

Vendor
Dec 11, 2002
US

Preparing to install IP Office 8.1 Basic edition. 6 1416 phones, voicemail and voicemail to email were their only requests.

now they want to dial via outlook. I think for cost i want to avoid the one-x portal and teleworker path which does have this feature.

Can i use TAPI on the Basic edition for this function without the additonal licensing?

I have been reading the other threads here but most of them are much older so i wanted to get a current take on this.

thanks

Chris

It still works, i use it a lot with my customers.
1- You just have to install TAPI from the USER_CD and be sure your PC doesn't have any software that prevents it from communicating with IPO (windows firewall, for instance, can be troublesome)
You can be pretty sure your PC is fine if during the installation of TAPI the wizard asks you which extension you want to log in as. If it doesn't then there is probably something in the way.
2- Once installed you just reload telephony service in W7 or restart PC on pre-W7 and check if TAPI correctly wrote in "phone and modem" in your control panel (you'll see a new TAPI driver under "advanced", double click it and see if the IPO IP address and the extension desired have been written, if not, write them yourself and double check point 1)
3- Re-open outlook and when you try to dial a contact's number, select the correct phone line in the dropdown list

I don't think it works with outlook express.

Haven't tried with W8

D-

thanks for the thorough replies. I was also told by another vendor that TAPI would not work on the Basic edition. Had to have Essential edition. that is alos part of what i was trying to confirm. anyone have any experience with TAPI on Basic edition.

thanks

Chris

It is the same as on any other IP Office version so it should not give a problem... not for me though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back