Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialing up to network .. Whos the blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcnetgeek

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2004
US
I posted this also at BBR ..

Ok ..

So here at the office i have auser who has to dial into a production environment as hes a developer and he has to work with the client to demonstrate the application, blah blah

There is a LAB and Production environment. 2 diff locations, boxes, etc.

Both are configured the exact same way except different numbers to dial into obviously. Also they both have the "terminal after connection" setting also.

Well, he can dial into the LAB, authenticate and work as normal. The production however; nothing can be typed into the terminal after dial-up. It just sits there at the prompt. He was able to connect nearly 2 weeks ago. Now connecting is a no go.

So i decided to try the connection on my own laptop and the connection is a success as well as typing into the "after connection dial up window" .. I've updated the drivers, both laptops running Windows XP. Since then i've actually had to give the user another lower-level laptop which works and can type into the terminal after dialup.

I have reinstalled modem drivers, done diagnostics and everything is in working order.

So i decide to try it on a desktop and guess what. The connection will not work on some desktops also. This just doesnt make any sense to me.

What can possibly cause such odd behavior?

Where should i start?

Is it possble some provisioning on the other end caused such an unreliable connection to it?

Thanks in advance.

Lenny :.
IT Guy :.
.::Get in where you fit in and where you need to fit in::.

If a lower Level Laptop works from the same phone line that the Desktop didn't work with I would wonder the following, 1, Brands/speeds of the modems of the systems in Question, 2 is one system logging into a Domain of any sort, or are there policys set on both machines, are they identical ?
since you didn't mention where the phone lines are coming from I would also ask what the connection speeds are, if you are using 1 phone line or multiple lines are you using a line straight from the LEC or a analog line from a PBX/Key system

Seems something changed on the clients end; as i expected because all of a sudden a few other companies CANNOT connect to this terminal after being able to at 1 point.

So this is no longer our problem. Though the user still uses the other laptop to get the job done.

@ macphoneguy
There were never any desktops involved, only laptops. regardless, he was able to connect at some point with his laptop and then mysteriously could not.

anyway.. we know the problem and now we have somewhat put a work-a-round in place, but they have to correct it and deal with it with other companies that cant connect.

Thanks folks!

Lenny :.
IT Guy :.
.::Get in where you fit in and where you need to fit in::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back