Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dialing into meridian using voip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajnd

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
I just got vonage voip to use as a modem line to dial remotes into other switches. The problem I am having is the data would hang and would have to wait for it, or it would hang up. I E-mailed sportster about this and they said their modems are not made for voip.. Anybody have a work around for this but not go back to land lines?

Easy, put all of your swiitches on IP, take out the Vonage line and just use your internet connection.

But if you want to send data over a line that can barely transmit voice, the workaround is to keep saying "this job's so nice, we do it twice" as you reconnect in to redo your task over.

Is it a savings? - what was the reason to go Vonage?

~

I don't think the customers would put their switches on ip. I went with vonage because no long distance charges and I could get a local number for a majority of the people I work with. The voice quality is good but I think the packet sending or echo canceling is making it go bonkers.

Methods I've used...

Built DISA in my main office and then dial out to other sites that way.

Created phantoms that point to the sites, then dialed the phantom as a local call.

Have not tried, but have pondered using the 3.47 cents/minute ATT pre-paid card available at Sams Club.

~

I am about 1500 miles from my main office. I do work in about 7 different states from West to East coast. I prefer to live in the country and telecommute, which is why I need the local number. I might have to go back to land line and use .05 cents minute calls.

You can send fax over a VoIP link, but not a modem connection. Analog modems don't like being packetized, period.

You might consider doing an ethernet-to-serial conversion. I know Lantronix makes a single port terminal server for that purpose.

re: Sam's Club prepaid cards... .I'e used them for dialup. PITA to program the dial string, but i've had good quality connections--was a method I used to isolate a problem with a specific carrier's local POP at the terminating end.

Maybe the Lantronix will work. I have couple of customers that the modem is buggy on so will start with them.

Has anybody used this on a meridian and does it work okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back