Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialing in with FIOL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2002
US
We would like to set up an old (very old) laptop to use as a mobile programming computer. The easiest way is to set it up so that it can dial into the switch via modem.

However, it's running FIOL, and I can't find an option anywhere to tell FIOL what phone number to dial. Can anyone with experience with old-fashioned FIOL help me out? I'll be happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks!

As far as I can remember you had to manually dial using AT commands. Old FIOL only supported serial communications and it only had 2 channels.

Hi
Which version of the old fiol are you using.
e.g Fiol 2 or Fiol 4/2 or Fiol 4/3.

Hi
Run Fiol 4/2.

Press F8 for config.
Set hw port to COM port your modem is connected to. e.g COM1
Set baud rate =9600
Set stop bits = 1
Set parity = none
Set word length = 8
Press F7 save config
Press F10 return to main screen
If you see BUF on the Channel bar
You need to switch to TTY mode
Press Esc for new Function bar then F5
You will now be in TTY mode.
Type AT then press return you get a response from modem
e.g OK
Now to dial your modem press ATDT1234567890 return.
or whatever modem number is.
When you see CONNECT on your screen log on to MD110
as normal.
When connected to MD110 you can switch back to Buffer
mode in Fiol using Esc then F5.
To hang up modem you should change back to TTY mode
after logging of MD110.
Then press +++ and ATH0
Hope this is helpful.

Thanks LME, that's exactly what I needed!

Unfortunately, it's still not working. The BIOS lists the modem as "COM1/COM2". So I set the HW to COM1 and followed the instructions.

In TTY mode, when I type "AT" and press return, nothing happens. NOTHING. No echo, no error, nothing whatsoever. I tried COM2 as well, and had the same result. Does this mean there's a problem with the modem, with the configuration of FIOL, or with the configuration of the modem itself??? It is a built-in modem and I know absolutely nothing about it (type, maker, etc). Any suggestions? At this point I can't tell if I should start trouble-shooting with the modem or with FIOL.

What operating system are you running on the laptop.
Fiol 4 is a Dos application, You may need the Dos drivers for the modem in order for fiol to access it.

Sorry, should've mentioned that originally. It's running DOS. I'll look into the drivers.

Hi

Try also to type ATE1 to activate the echo mode on your modem. On some modems, this is deactivated by default.

regards /rorni

Don't forget that Fiol4 only supports com ports 1&2, you must make sure that your modem is set to one of these.

Hi

The inbuilt modem may be a Winmodem that will only function
using a windows operating system.
Try to connect an external modem to Com 2 port on your pc
if you have one.
What version of Dos are you using.

Yeah, I thought about that. But given that the computer dates from 1991, with a 40 mb HD and 2 MB's of RAM, I'm thinking it's a hardware modem. I'll try an external modem though, good suggestion. It's running DOS 6.2.

If its running DOS and is built in (Not PCMCIA) it *will* be a hardware modem - you shouldn't need a driver so long as its setup properly in BIOS etc.

My guess is the modem is borked - would say check the jumper settings on the modem for IRQ/Com port/Interrupt etc - but its a laptop so thats useless :p.

If you have the disk that came with the modem there may be a setup program that lets you change these?

Try another old DOS terminal program like Procomm or something and see if you can talk to the modem with that - if not then you maybe need an external?

ATI6 and or ATI3 command usually gives you chipset information - search for the result on google to see what type of chipset the modem has.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I eventually determined that the modem was toast, as I could never get any kind of response from it. We were able to find another, better laptop that could run Windows, and used that one instead. Thanks again, I learned a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back