Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialing delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelneo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2009
KW
Hi,
We have a CS1000E system in our offices. There was a power failure a few weeks back, and the system restarted improperly. Everything seems ok, except there are delays between dialing the digits, and the digits appearing on the screen. Some users are also complaining that there is an initial delay before the other person can hear their voice.
Were can I begin troubleshooting? Is this a network issue?

Appreciate any help. Regards.

Always start with the systems history file in LD 22. You might have some kit that needs resetting again so that it syncs correctly with your core servers. It all depends on what setup you have.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

Hi Firebird,
Thank you for the reply. I just checked the history, but it just goes back to yesterday. I have attached the file here, but there is not much to work on there I think. what information would you need, and how can I get it?
thanks.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=141e4c81-4793-465b-8681-2550affb1d4d&file=history_cs1000e
I've looked at your history file and two things are a concern. During the backup, I see the message

% SYSTEM_PARAMS
% PORT_CUSTOM
% PORT_STATE
% EPTFLAG
% Backing up reten.bkp to "/u/bkdb/backup/tmp"
%
% Database backup Complete!
% BKR - Backup preparation to "/u/bkdb/backup/tmp" completed
%
% BKR - TAR Archiving "/u/bkdb/backup/tmp" ... completed
%
% BKR - GZIP Compressing "/u/bkdb/backup/bkdata.tar" ... 100 percent completed
%
%
% opening FTP session to remote server 137.135.128.100
%
% SRPT4639 FTP to 137.135.128.100 failed on "open session", code=-1, attempt=1; errno=0x300
% 6b.
%
% opening FTP session to remote server 137.135.128.100
%
% SRPT4639 FTP to 137.135.128.100 failed on "open session", code=-1, attempt=2; errno=0x300
% 6b.

This may have already been happening prior to the slow running of the system, but I would check it out why you can't FTP to 137.135.128.100.

The second issue is that you have logged in using an emergency account.

% AUD000
%
% TTY #08 LOGGED IN ADMIN 10:48 19/10/2016
%
% TTY #08 LD 020 ADMIN 10:48:30 19/10/2016
%
% SEC116 User ADMIN has been allowed to log in using an emergency account.
%
% TTY #08 LD 020 ADMIN 10:49:50 19/10/2016

This shouldn't be happening. My guess is that you may have had some sort of power outage on one or more of the servers and this could be why you are having difficulties.

CS1000e is a system I'm not that experienced with but please read this report below about the SEC116 error.

After a Call Server was powered OFF/ON you couldn't login to the CS from UCM
Got error on screen :
>>
'OVL428:
User authentication to CS1000 Call server failed. 1. Check whether Radius is turned ON for Central Authentication2. Check the Username and password of CS1000 component for Local Authentication'
>>
Also when directly logging into the Call Server via TTY got:
'***SEC116
OPDATA: User ADMIN has been allowed to log in using an emergency account.

Suspect password problems after the powerdown
To fix we unregistered the Call Server from the UCM & re-registered it back in.
UNREG UCM SYS -- REG CM SYS

Firebird Scrambler

Website

hi,
FTP backup is not configured properly, but we are backing up to card. How will the join and disjoin affect calls and performance? Or do I need to do this after working hours?

Thanks.

I would do a proper power down and then bring everything back up

Hi KCFLHRC,
How would I do a proper shut down?
1. Call Pilot shutdown.
2. Then switch of the cabinets from the front one at a time. wait a few minutes, then bring them back up.

Is that all?

Yes, do a shutdown on Call Pilot and then power off the cabinets for a minute and then back on.

I forgot to add that the size of your history file might still be at the default of 5000. I personally would set it to the maximum value of 650000 as the original value was set in the days of the old cartridge versions.

Firebird Scrambler

Website

We sometimes see the login using an emergency account, this is when logging into CS1K using local security server accounts (UCM/SMGR) and there is a timeout in the radius response but the CS1K maintains a local copy of those accounts so allows the login.

You may want to re-register the system back into the Sec Domain see if that resolves it, or you may find it is not every time and is just down to a slow reply on odd occasion. For example we get it sometimes with a CS1K in Philippines and SMGR for the network is in Netherlands, only does it now and again[ul]
[li][/li]
[/ul].

hi,
Can I re-register the UCM during work hours? also, the equipment and phones are all on the same floor. the delays are random, seen across different phones, at different times.

thanks everyone again for your suggestions. I will power down the system, at a suitable time during our weekend.

On the re-register to UCM you can do it anytime should be no issue.

hi,
I restarted our C-LAN (T-Lan) switch, and haven't received any complaints till now. I'll continue to monitor for the next few days, and will post any updates here.

Thanks again.

Hi,
We had a separate 8 port switch, for the C-LAN network, and I thought I'd restart the switch once before troubleshooting further. It seems to have fixed the delay issue, and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and time. Much appreciated.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back