Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialin Multilink

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdof

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
I have on my IPO 500 a PRI30 ISDN line.

I have 2 dialin users using BRI ISDN and they can route through IPO to internet and everything.

At one site I have one BRI line and i dialup to the IPO PRI line and all is OK.

At the second site I have four (4) BRI lines. Problem is i can dialup with only 1 BRI - if i try to bundle a second line it fails with PPP error 628.

My question is if i can bundle BRI lines to connect to a IPO 500 "server" - so if this is supported or I'm just wasting my time....

are you sure you have

BACP: Default = Off
Enable/Disable - Allows negotiation of the BACP/BCP protocols. These are used to control the addition of additional B channels to simultaneously improve data throughput.

Multilink: Default = Off
Enable/Disable – When enabled the system attempts to negotiate the use of the Multilink protocol (MPPC) on the link(s) into this Service. Multilink must be enabled if the more than one channel is allowed to be Bundled/Multilinked to this RAS Service.

Set to on for both ends of the connection?

Robb

Hi Robb,

thanks for the reply.

Of course both are enabled.

I have fixed all my COMs and double checked everything and not i get this message:

What I understand is that the first connection is negotiated as Multilink and hence i get 128kbit (2x64kbit channels).
If I want to bind though more channels then the 2nd modem will make another call and use the same username/password to authenticate with IPO.

Apparently IPO doesn't allow 2 dialin users to be logged in at the same time with the same username.
Hence I get the above message and I can not bind more modems/channels.

I did a simple test trying the above.
Two PCs - two different modems - one username/pass
first user logged in ok - second't failed.

Maybe there is a setting somewhere that allows multiple logins?

I suspect that you are approaching this slightly wrong...

I think you probably need to use a WAN service...

I'll look it up and post again - but it won't be until Monday 31st!

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks for the hint Matt...

I made a new WAN service (that created a user/RAS entry automatically) and changed the number of max chanells to 10.

Still the same problem.

Don't know if there is something special needed in the WAN service...

Maybe the WAN service is referring mostly to connect two IPOs with 2xPRI cards for example.
Maybe the PRI can be handled as one connection by using 1 to 30 channels, while my case is two different connections...

Double check BACP & Multilink are set correctly on both ends of the link

I have often used 3 of 4 isdn connections to a single site but the default setings of the ras service need to be changed 1st

Thanks for the reply IPGuru,

i have checked RAS user and BACP and Multilink are enabled.

On Windows XP I have multilink enabled as two calls are made.
Unfortunately the second call is dropped.

You dialout from PC (Windows?) or you try this from another IP Office unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back