Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialin in or accessing your Definity System Remotely. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

user125

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2003
US
Whenever I had a problem I called Avaya and their technicians would dialin to our box. Is there a way for me to do that as well? What kind of information would I need and where could I find it? thanks.

To gain remote access you would need Avaya Site Administration and a valid login.

ah ic, so theres no way for me to do it myself. Only avaya can do this?

I use ASA from my house and it works well. I dial in through the Inads port. You can check that by "display system parameters maintenance" command. See if custumer access to Inads port is "yes". If it is your set.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

how much is this software>? I'm having trouble getting someone on avaya to tell me anything about it.

It's in the $500 range but procomm works just fine as well. Any dumb terminal emulator with ATT 4410 support.

-CL

aaaaaah darn... Our system here is tooo old. We have a G3V3i.01.0.034.4, I called them up and said its too old and that ASA won't support it... IS there any other options?

upgrade to the latest release and Avaya give you ASA for free...

If you dial in through a Hyper Terminal seesion, would that work? I would think you would have to turn the lock off on the switch's modem..vgrd.

thanks for the info noobenduser, but my company won't upgrade their system. We've been making alot of cutbacks and they don't want to spend money on something they feel they don't need. I on the other hand loathe this system and want to upgrade.

You know, you probably have a bunch of copper trunks that cost a fortune. I bet if you upgrade and switch to PRI trunks you can lower your monthly cost and pay for the upgrade within a year. There are also CLEC's out there that will give you a monthly credit towards equipement upgrades. for myself, I had a r3 with copper trunks. We paid roughly $5000 to $6000 a month in telco. I upgraded for around $40,000. My monthly cost dropped to $2500 so the return of investment happened within the first year...

I tried accessing it through hyper term but no luck

Did u check to see if "display system parameters maintenance" command shows that custumer access to Inads port is "yes", as Mr. Jones suggested, and are u dialing the correct number? It seems to me that if u do "list logins" that there is someplace that also turns on the ability to login remotely? Many people use procom, although Avaya no longer supports it if u have problems. Before Avaya site administrator there was Definity Site Adminstrator and it might support your version of software. U can probabley get a used copy of procom or DSA on ebay or locally.

If the switch is that old you might want to look to see if you have the original Terranova program. This will work with that release. And if you have the full blown copy it work better than DSA/ASA.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

I check the display system-parameters maintence and that option is not available. Heres what it lists.
Operations Support Parameter
-product identification
-OSS Telephone number(Iassumed that this was my number)
-Alarm origination activated - y
-cleared alarm notifacation - y
-restart notifcation - y
-test remote access port - y
-cpe alarm activation level - minor
- packet bus activated - n

Scheduled Maintenance
Start time, Daily maintenance, save translation,control
channel interchange, system clocks interchange,
spe interchange exp-link interchange

Maintenance Thresholds
-Min threshholds for TTrs
-Min thresholds for call classifer ports :0
- min threshold for cptrs: 2

Terminating Trunk transmission test
test type 100 test type 102 test type 105

This all they have. Freakin antiquate machine, theres got to be a way for me to get in that box.

btw, shouldn't the modem lock already be off anyways? Whenever we call Avaya, they always dial in to our box to service it. I want to know how they do it though, if its true that asa won't support my old box, then they must be going in through some convention means.

Also on a side note, I am able to dial that 800 number however, whenever it connects i get an ascii letter and then it kicks me right off.

The 1 800 number is to a computer in denver. It trys to resolve the alarms and If it cant, sends it on to a tech. Their was a thread a while back that may help you though.

thread 690-453509 Someone posted colors on the aux cables were your inads line are connected to. If you trace that out, use your buttset and call a digital phone, you will have the remote access number to your switch. That and you remote access software should give you at least something to try.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

thanks mikeydidit, i think im gonna give up on this one though... I cant find terranova ANYWHERE, and avaya says i cant use their asa software. So although it would be interesting to find the number, i think its pointless to go through that hassle if i cant use it. when I thought i was so close lol. oh well.. its a learning experience.

Don't give up. The 1st 25 pair connector on the back of the PBX is labeled AUX. Find this cable on your wallfield. The 25th pair is your modem line. Tap a butt set on the line and call a phone with caller ID. This is your modem #. Procomm plus will work fine for ATT4410 emulation. Technically, ASA will work fine as well. The only "incompatibility" is some of the find & replace gui tools may not work correctly (I use ASA on System 75, G1, G3V1-R11). ASA will work fine on a V3 for just terminal emulation. Lastly from the PBX terminal, type "display login XXXX" where XXXX is your login. See if "access to INADS port" is set to yes. That's all you need. I can't imagine being an admin without remote access to the PBX.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back