Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up window keeps popping up. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpermonkey

Technical User
Sep 28, 2003
US
I have a two user home system with Outlook and IE both using a dialup connection to a local ISP.
For some reason, the Dialup window keeps showing up while either of us is using the machine off-line.
I have checked both Outlook and IE for any preferences which might be causing this.
The last thing I did was to install Roxio DVD Creator which I have subsequently uninstalled.

Should I just delete and re-create the Dial up connection?

Thanks in advance,

JumperMonkey

Go into your control panel and look for internet options. Click on the connection tab at the top and look for the three options about whether or not to dial a connection. You may need to change it to never dial a connection.

Thanks, sixstrings!
But won't that disable the autodial function used when opening IE?
I have found a file 'csmss.exe' which caused the Dialup to launch.

Also, in a Windows folder called Prefetch, there is a reference to the 'csmss.exe' file.

I'll keep you posted.

JumperMonkey

Sixstrings4,
I have (since my original post) installed and ran both an anti-adware and a virus/worm/bug scanning app. They did both find stuff which was "quarantined" or "healed". (Quite a bit, actually...)
However, in my Startup file (msconfig>startup), I found two instances of a file called "csmss.exe". I stopped the phantom dialup by unchecking both instances of this file.

Now, whenever I launch IE, the dialup won't fire unless I click on a Favorite or on Home. The dialup will fire in Outlook when I click on "Send/Receive".

Is there a place which explains all of the Windows files? I'd like to know what "csmss.exe" is really for.

Thanks for the followup.
By the way, my system runs much better now that I've installed the virus checker and adware sniffer apps.

JumperMonkey

I'm glad things are working better for you now. According to that link in my previous post "csmss" is a process installed by a trojan. Anytime you want to find what a process is for, just run a search for it in Google.

Six,
Thanks for the info on that file. I should have checked that link when you sent it. My bad!
I will keep it as a favorite from now on.
Now...how does one remove items from the startup tab in msconfig?
I think it might be in the registry.

JmprMnky

Disregard my previous post.
I found what I was looking for

JmprMnky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back