Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up win2k computer & then access broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilDirt

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
US
Is it possible to dial into a win2kpro computer and then access it`s broadband internet conection?and how? x-)

Sure you can. Easy-peasy.

See:

These look like XP Pro links, but they apply equally to Win2K.

Just remember to select the option "Allow callers to access my local area network."

You might have to get a little tricky. The RAS host (the machine accepting the Incoming Connection) will require some static routes to be configured unless you do something like I do:

My host machine's LAN is connected to the cable modem via a cable router. This router is assigning IP addresses in the range 192.168.123.100 - 192.168.123.253 I just make sure to set up TCP/IP on the Incoming Connection to assign IP addresses for the dial-in from the range 192.168.123.1 - 192.168.123.10 (overkill, you only need 2 addresses).

The host end of the dial connection usually grabs the first address and assigns the remote machine (the one dialing in) one of the others in the range (not always the second one, for some reason it moves around from connection to connection).

This lets the guy dialing in see the cable router as its default gateway (everyone is on the same subnet), and the packets flow from there just fine.

This works for a DCC (parallel cable) connection too.

Now if you DON'T have a cable router you may have to set up Internet Connection Sharing to get the NAT functionality that DCI962 was talking about above. I haven't tried this yet so I won't guarantee it. But you shouldn't need Win2K Server NAT as such to make this work under Pro.

Thanks,this should help get me started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back