Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-Up VPN (Policy-based) & Route-based Hub & Spoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipkins

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hello,

I currently have a Dial-Up VPN Client using NetScreen Remote 8.3 utilising XAuth and it is configured using policy-based VPN's. This works fine in terms of connecting to the network. The VPN connection is bi-directional and the client is assigned an internal private IP address.

However, the internal network is a route-based, hub and spoke configuration. The VPN Client can connect to any systems in the directly connected hub-site, but not in any of the spoke sites.

I have tried creating policies between the Untrusted Zone, which the VPN Client connects to and the zone with all the VPN tunnels liking to the spoke sites, but to no avail.

Can anyone confirm whether they have this type of configuration working ? and if so how ?

Hey,

I am no pro, but this could be a few things to check:

- Make sure the remote site subnet is permitted in the VPN policy
- Check to make sure the NAT pool assigned to the dial-up clients has a return route back to the entry Netscreen

Let me know what you think. I can bounce this off a few people I know as well. Hope this is helpful.

Rgds,

John

Thanks for the reply.

At the Hub site I have two zones, Trust and VPN, where VPN contains all the tunnels to the spoke sites.

In 'Policies' I have created a policy enabling 'Dial-Up VPN' in the Untrusted Zone to 'Any' in the 'Trusted' Zone.

I then create a second policy from 'Dial-Up VPN' to 'Any' in the VPN Zone.

I then create a VPN tunnel from the client, I can connect to either the HUB or the SPOKE sites, but never both. I have to alternate between removing one of the above policies.

Errmm,

with regards to the above, I am not sure how you have configured the remote client but remember unless you are encrypting everything through the tunnel using a virtual adapter and having selected use gateway on remote lan on this adapter you will need to declare the remote nets you are trying to get to otherwise the remote client will not encapsulate the data for the remote subnets.

Once you are in the trust-vr the traffic should route through o.k. but you need to get the traffic going to the one of the netscreens and then through to wherever.

So if you have only 1 connection defined under in nsremote (e.g. to 192.168.1.x/24) then you need to copy the policies and replace the destination net with the required destination networks.

Any questions lemme know.

Kind regards

Njetscreamer

Thanks.

I currently route all traffic via NetScreen Remote using the mask 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0.

I am able to ping the hub site and any spoke sites that are connected to the hub via a policy-based VPN.

However, I am not able to ping any sites that are connected to the hub via a route-based VPN.

Policies are configured that should enable the traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back