Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dial up RAS connects, and then... nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

YokyDoky

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
US
The boss reports that he can make his dial-up RAS connection from home, but then it's like he's in la-la-land - no access to anything. I haven't been at his house to see, and I haven't actually USED a modem in years, so not a first-hand witness. *He makes three times as much money as I do and won't spring for broadband at home, but that's not important.* What could have changed on the RAS server in the absence of someone messing with it? (Nothing appears in the logs) Where to start?

What happens the situation is replicated at work ?
Do other users complain of similar errors ?
Is the boss trying to download large (>2Mb) files over RAS ?

There are so many reasons that this could occur, try and replicate the error in a known environment (workshop/lab) and then we can look at whether it's Telco/hardware/software/opsys/config based.

HTH

Pete...

I'm at work now. Connected a notebook to an analog line and dialed in to RAS server using my regular login info, as I have before. Connection completes. The RAS server shows an authenticated connection on COM3 with my user name and machine name. Nothing new here. But on the notebook I get "Domain ____ is unavailable..." and thats it. Goes back to the login screen, although the connection is preserved. Have to hang up to try again but nothing improves with repeated attempts. No one here admits making any changes on the RAS server. Is there a known virus or hack that creates such issues?

Okay, further investigation. The dial-up connection completes, and shows an IP address for both the server and the client (on the dial-up client's connection properties), and these addresses are from the private DHCP pool (10.10.1.x), but there are no leases showing on the DHCP server for dial-up connections. And it still says the domain is unavailable...

sometime RAS won't pick up Wins and and DNS information. You can try and have him manaully key these in on his DUN connection.

turns out the checkbox to allow IP forwarding was unchecked. A little security issue...

Oh, by the way, I figured this out myself. No stars for you "experts"

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha Y. Doky - "Manager" of Systems

"Works well under constant supervision or when trapped like a rat in a pipe."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back