Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-up passwords blank - save pwd's grayed out, hmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootBoy

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
Hello,

An irritating little problem: My saved dial-up passwords no longer automatically appear when I try to connect and the 'save password' checkbox is grayed out. How can I remedy this please? (Win98SE, IE6)

Cheers, B

You probably have your system set to log in to the windows login. If you hit escape (or click cancel), then it will not allow you to save those passwords.

If this is the case, then I have two suggestions...
1) use a username with a password (or blank password, just hit enter)
2) remove the option to use this log in type. For this, you will
a) find all files in c:\windows that end with .pwl (I think that is the extension--doublecheck me though)
b) delete *.pwl
c) reboot. When it asks you to enter a username and password, blank it all out and hit okay. The option should not come back. Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Mudskipper

You are spot on, I know because I had to do this yesterday for a friend.

I would add also that if you have TweakUI on your system, that you remove Network Control Panel from your control panel to stop this from happening again.
Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the answers we give are helpful to you. Without your feedback we don't know if the answer was correct.

Thanks Mudskipper,

I don't log in to Windows, I knobbled that at installation.
I have recently removed 'file sharing', could that be the problem? Whatever, if I delete all .pwl files, might it shake the system out of it's blockage?

Cheers, BootBoy

Crustyoldbloke,

You have probably put your finger on it! I used to have TweakUI on my system but the executable icon is no longer in Windows control panel!? Can't think what happened to it. I'll try reinstalling it and see if that remedies things.

Thanks, B.

I don't know anything about the tweak UI issue--so that one is yours, Crusyoldbloke!!

As for the pwl files....

Upon boot, the login will look for pwl files. If it finds none, then it assumes that this is the first time you have tried to log in this way. Because of that, it will give you the option to
A) put in a new username and password
B) just leave it blank, hit OK, (thereby disabling that login).

Hope this helps! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Youre suffering from advanced security settings tweaked by the old prog and lingering in the registry. Get X-Setup 6.1 and tweak to your hearts content from

Free free, everything I do is free!
Whinge whinge, Capatalist Society, what are the kids gonna eat?

CapsMan.
The Computer Unprofessional.[hammer]

Thanks CapsMan,
I've downloaded X-Setup 6.1 and will let you know how I get on, soonish.

Cheers mate,

BootBoy (Tim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back