Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up not responding, modem disappears 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
FI
I had a window 98 SE box that contained numerous viruses including the one that dialed up to the internet and run your phone bill up. Now for reasons beyond my control, I can't wipe out and install the O/S so that is out.

I removed the disk and put it into a portable drive and run norton on it. Found 35 viruses and got rid of them. I then tried to connect ot the internet with dialup. When I double clicked on the dialup connection, I received a blue screen, hit any key to continue and it goes away. Then modem then dials up and tries to connect. It then hangs there, when you end the process and try again, error message no modem installed.

I tried to install O/S over the old one and didn't fix the problem. I installed Norton 2004, updated it and windows and still no luck.

remove those old connections from dialup folder and make new ones...and NAV. nsw, nis don't play too well with 98.....get another like in smah's faq760-3862
also d/l and run SpyBot and Adaware and Cwshredder
From Here

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Go to your control panel and try uninstalling your modem.
Open your pc and remove the modem,reboot and then shut down again, then reinsert your modem and windows should detect the new modem/hardware.
You will then be given an option to install the drivers from a specified location or windows will search automatically.
If you have the correct drivers you shouldn't have any problems.
If you don't have the correct drivers go to on a friends pc, its worth joining as you can download almost any driver from there.
If you look on your modem card you will find its make and number which will enable you to find the correct drivers

Well, I ended up wiping out and doing a fresh install. After the removing the viruses, the dial-up connection would not work at all.

Apologies;
You may have just needed a Winsock fix such as this - though it may not have been the only problem
keep it handy

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Thanks TekTippy4U,

I will keep it handy for next time.

your very welcome;
[rockband]

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back