Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-up Networking takes longer to login now that I've reintsalled OS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I just re-installed win98se. The modem was working fine before.

When I finished installing windows, I installed the drivers (from gateway web site). They are the correct drivers for the modem. However, it gets stuck on the "Logging onto Network" for about 1 or 2 minutes. Then it will finally disappear to the task bar. It's never done this before. I've even tried different drivers that say they will work with the modem, and it does the same thing.

How can I fix this???

Thanks

Mark

This sounds more like an "authentication problem" than a driver problem (2 minutes is an eternity in cyber terms)

Check the PROPERTIES section of your DUN under SERVER TYPES. Regards
Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful to you. Without your feedback I don't know if the answer was correct.

I checked that, and it is the way it should be. I've set this up a bunch of times on many computers to call the same isp number, used the exact same settings for SERVER TYPES, but this time it is being wierd.

Any more idea's???
Thanks

right click on your dial networking icon you use and in settings somewhere unclick log onto network, that makes mine connect faster

That was exactly it SurferJoe!!! Connecting to the internet is faster than ever!

Thanks!!!

(ahem)Mark

That is what I told you in post 2 on 22 November (11 days ago).

Check the PROPERTIES section of your DUN under SERVER TYPES

You said that you had checked it, and that is the way it should be

As I originally said, i.e. "authentication problem"[yawn] Treat your children well. They get to choose your nursing home!
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

Phil, I checked there under server types, I was assuming you were talking about the drop down list of what kind of server (Windows NT server). You didn't mention anything about, "log onto network" checkbox.

On all of my computers, this box was checked, and they didn't have any problems. So I assumed this wasn't the problem, but I was wrong.

Thanks for the help though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back