Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Up Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2001
GB
We have just migrateed from a novell network (IPX/SPX) to a Windows 2000 Networks (TCP/IP), and the problem i am now faced with is that the windows 2000 professional laptops cannot dial onto the internet, it worked fine before the migration, it dials up the ISP fine, and passes the username and password, but when it registers the machine on to the ISP network (which is what i think i have to stop) it throws out an Error:

"Error Connecting to Connection XXXXXX, registering your computer on the network."
"Error 720: The connection attempt failed becuse your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocols"

This is the same on ALL laptop migrated, however one that has never had the novell client installed works fine !!

Anyone seen this before or knows a fix ??

Thanks in advance
MadAsToast

Are you using PPP protocol for the connection? TCP/IP the primary protocol? If it were me, i would remove and add the network adapter, see if it works. It's a configuration error in your network and dial-up settings.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Thans for helping pbxman, however this didn't cure the problem, however i dont believe that when the adapters were removed TCP/IP uninstalled due to Simple TCP/IP Services running, i cant seem to uninstall the Simple TCP/IP Services no matter what i remove

i am having the same problem in 2000. i am not sure how to totally get rid of the networking protocols so that everything will get reset. i uninstall everything(so i think) and then reinstall and still get that error 720. i get it with dsl attempts and modem attempts. any ideas?

I recently started using a new machine that has both MS Office 2000 Pro and XP Pro. The main thing as to a dialup connection I found out quickly is that I have to input the DNS info in th TCP-IP window as part of the setup whenever I change providers and establish a new connection (I travel a lot). I now make it a point to ask the new provider for the DNS addresses and have had no problem anywhere since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back