Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-up ISP Number Repository?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCP2000

MIS
May 24, 2002
US
Does anyone know if there is an ISP number repository anywhere? I would be happy to subscribe to such a service if it is regularly updated.

I am working on network security in an organization with more than an optimal number of modems on the floor. I want to build a list of ISP numbers, so that we can be notified if people are dialing ISPs to get around our firewall and IDS.

I have searched for ISP numbers, but the count of ISPs is crazy. It would be a full-time job for me to compile and refresh the list on my own.

TIA

Not exactly, 2ffat, but thanks for responding. I am looking for something that I can download a list of ISP access numbers, filter by area code, or state, and import that data into a system that compares calls made against the list of ISP numbers.

Short version... trying to get my hands on the most accurate, up-to-date list of ISP access numbers.

If the modems aren't necessary, couldn't they just be pulled? Or couldn't you just set your telecomm equipment to not allow modem traffic? I assume you have such a thing in the organization since you mention you can monitor numbers called. And I would think that would be possible, especially since I remember the modems I ran could distinguish between voice calls, data, and fax.

(just throwing out some thoughts, hopefully they're helpful?)

Measurement is not management.

Could you write some code that takes the numbers that get dialed, and then dial it itself, looking for ISP-like text?

"Welcome to Columbia Internet"
and so on.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back