Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-up connection shut down message

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmg

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
NZ
Is anyone else getting this extremely frustrating message whenever you shut down, restart or log off of Windows XP.

I mean, I can understand if you are just logging off as you may be switching users but to be asked "You currently have a dial-up connection to the internet active - do you want to disconnect (Yes/No)" if you have just told Windows XP you want to shut down your PC is a little on the daft side.

As a side, if you press Yes or No it still shuts down - actually, if you press No it actually shuts down a little faster!!!

Blast - I guess no one else is having this problem then. Hopefully the full version will fix this - or at least give me an option to disable the prompt.

Received full release version (2600) of XP Pro in the weekend and did clean install. No longer getting this message (just in case anyone is interested!!) ;-)

Hi:

I suspect that for some reason who had two "requests" to connect to your ISP at the time of your shutdown. Often if you shutdown while several programs are running, momentarily some weird things happen. If you have used Quicken software, a situation similar to what you described occurs there when you prepare to close out Quicken. A request appears asking if you want to disconnect from your browser.

Try closing all visible programs to determine if you still get that message. If you do, hey, you'll have to rely on another forum guy.

Good luck.

Fourls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back