Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up connection sharing and DHCP on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcutler

Technical User
Jan 18, 2002
CA
Hi,

I’m running a small home network that is a mix of XP Professional and Home systems.

I have a D-Link 624 wireless router attached, but since I live in an area where broadband isn’t available it’s used for wireless access only. I use XP’s built in internet connection sharing to share a dial up connection with the systems on my network.

The problem I’m trying to solve involves DHCP and my firewall software.

The IP address assigned to my laptop keeps changing. As a result of this I constantly need to add the new address to my list of trusted IP’s in my firewall software.

Is there a way that I can get XP to always assign the same address to my laptop? I did try to give the laptop a static IP, but that causes the internet connection sharing to stop working. I’d like to use static IP’s. Is there a way to do this and still share my dial up connection?

If I can’t do that, is there a way to use the DHCP server capabilities of the D-Link without breaking my connection sharing?

I hope I’ve given you enough information.

Thank you for your time.

PC.

Why not assign the LapTop IP Addy manually at the LapTop? Don't use DHCP on this PC. Set the router DHCP system to assign from 192.168.0.101 to ??? and manually set yout LapTop to 192.168.0.100 then you will have a contiguous address range for the firewall.

HTH RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

I had thought of restricting the range of IP addresses the main system can assign, but I can't find where I would do this.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

PC

Your manual should show the way to access the setup of the router. DHCP assignment would be in basic setup and allow you to restrict the range of IP addresses assigned.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

The problem with this is that the XP machine hosting the shared internet (dial-up) connection is acting as a DHCP server - but afaik you have no control over it - it just assigns IP addresses in the 192.168.0.1-254 range. If you turn on the router's DHCP you've got 2 DHCP servers - and problems.

You could try something like:-

instead of XP's ICS - I think that would work using the router's DHCP server.

I'm pretty sure you can turn XP's DHCP off. If nothing else you can stop the service and disable it.

HTH RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back