Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-up Connection keeps launching 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt436

Programmer
Apr 26, 2002
US
The Dial-up Connection dialog box keeps
appearing (in Windows 98) and if I ignore
it another copy comes up a minute later.
Before long, there are multiple copies
running, as shown on the task bar. How
to I get this behavior to stop??? Thanks.

Check if you have any utility in the starup ( Not only startup folder) that causes the DUN to launch.

It might be a trojan that tries to connect or a configuration setup in the internet explorer options.

This often happens if you are using a "free" ISP installation disk. The installation of the specific ISP's version of whatever browser will also place the connection between the browser & a specific dial_up connection.

There should be a "Automatically connect to the internet" check box somewhere (I don't remember where in W98). Just uncheck it.

Or uninstall the browser. Or unistall the dial-up connection. Or replace the browser with a less hacked version. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

One way to diagnose, might be to install 'free' zone alarm. When an application requests connection to the internet, zone alarm will tell you which one it is.
Cindy H

i came across this problem, and it was a virus.

it either infected or placed a hidden file on the system called if i recall rrssdd.exe (or very similar)

i cleared the virus myself only to find it had come back.

I downloaded the latest Norton Updates this detected it and fixed it.

Hope this is of help.

Try eliminating (1 at a time) all programs at C:\Windows\Dialers folder.

These programs are dowloaded automatically from the Internet (when you enter certain sites) and keep launching the DUN until you connect.

Good luck.

Random is what we can't see
Devine is what we can't understand
and If 1=2 then I'm the pope

go to start->control panel->internet option->connection tab->select never dial a connection.->apply ->ok AOL Tech

it sounds like one of the three:

1. some kind of ad ware that's trying to get online
start>run>type msconfig> click "start up" tab, uncheck unwanted programs. reboot

2. you have a WANTED program trying to connect over and over again. instant messenger, weather, time manager ect.

find the prog. uninstall and reinstall because it shouldn't do this at all unless you have the wrong version for your computer or something.

3. you have a virus.

go to housecall.antivirus.com and do a free online virus scan.

I like the idea that pcboss had. also, are you talking about the dail-up networking connection or some other company's dailer that has been installed. meaning, is it boxes from windows or other software?

Two of the most common startups that we have experienced are "Real Player" and "Newsupd".

Real Player will be evident in your taskbar, the other one is helpfully installed by Creative when you install their sound card. (they obviously assume that everyone is permantely connected to the internet).

Another famous candidate is the "Notepad" virus which some scanners do not find. To check do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and make sure that notepad is not running. If it is you will nedd to follow the well documented procedure on most Anti Virus sites or contact me.

If you are confident in the registry you should check "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" in Regedit...this is where most of the undesirable startups will reside.

Windows has the option to automatically dial your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to establish an Internet connection. This option can be controlled using this tweak.

Open your registry.

Create a new DWORD value (or Binary on Windows 95) named "EnableAutodial", and set the new value to equal "1" to enable autodial or "0" to disable it.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

AOL Tech

Another really nasty one has just surfaced on one of my customer's systems exhibiting the same symptoms as yours.

This was finally tracked down to a Worm Virus called "W32.OPASERV.H.Iworm" and it will only affect Win 98 and ME users.

It installs many files in the Windows directory, most common being:

INDTIT.BAT
SCRSVR.EXE
MARCO!.SCR
BRASIL.PIF
BRASIL.EXE
ALEVIR.EXE

It also puts these files in the "run=" section of Win.ini as well as the "CurrentVersion\Run" section of the registry.

It is difficult to remove manually...I used a file downloaded via Google.

I hope you have not got this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back