Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Up Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
I'm using my notebook running Win 2k to connect to my server running Win 2k Server. The connection works fine. However I can not connect highet than 26.4k I realize that max upload speed is 33.6. can connect to dial up ISP at 53.6.

But my question is this;
What is it that ISP's do that I'm not?
Is it possible to obtain higher connection speeds in my situation and if so how do I go about doing so?

Thanks

This sounds like you are dialing directly into your server not directing traffic to it via the Internet. That being said here is my question to you.

Is it at all possible your server has a 28.8 or 33.6 modem installed, hence limiting the speed to the slowest modem that of the one on the receiving end of your call?

I can use that same modem and connect to a dial up ISP at 50.6k or even better sometimes. This particular modem is a USR internal PCI, I have also tried a USR external modem, I even upgraded the firmware on the external modem to V92.

Yes I am dialing into my Server directly using RRAS.

well that answers about the computer you use having a 56K modem, but my original post was about the server may not have a 56K modem in it, but a slower modem. you cannot connect to a 28.8 or 33.6 modem faster than it allows, so your 56K modem will connect at the slower speed when dialing the server. IF this is the case

I guess I should have said that the two modems refered to in my last post were both connected/installed in the server. My notebook modem is built in. I can use the two internal modems and connect to the same ISP at as much as 50k or so. The external modem I have not tried to connect to ISP with.

Hey! I'm trying to do the same thing!.

Here's what I found out.

1) You need V.90 at both ends.
2) One end (server) needs to be a digital modem (not analog)
3) Line coming in if (T1) needs to be Trunk-based, not Line-based.

The bottom line for you and me is that the server end needs to be digital. I am looking for a digital v.90 modem now. I have a T1 but don't want to use a RAS Server (i.e. Netmodem/24)

Glenn
gdardick@dardick.net

This would work in my situation problem is that ISDN is expensive. Although I own my business I'm just getting started and cannot afford ISDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back