Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

racas

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
GB
We have two IP 403 sites.
Site A: Dial 9 for the external line. When we dial 9 we have the dial tone only, or we can get the external xxxxxxx number when we dial 9xxxxxxx.
Site B: Dial 8 to go over the VoIP line to site A.
When we dial 89xxxxxxx everything is fine and we can get the external number at site A, but we can’t get the dial tone only when we dial 89.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

You won't actually get a dialtone FROM the other side, but you can get a dialtone - use secondary dialtone triggered by the 8, same setup as your 9

SC: 8
TN: .
LG: 0
F: SecondaryDialtone

F: [8]XXXXXXX
TN: 9N
LG: <voip line>
F: Dial

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Would you please be so kind and direct as now how to setup the destination field in the incoming route form at Site A for the next scenario:

When we call site A from outside using the incoming number (specified in the incoming route form) we would like to get a dial tone and to dial ANY external number at site B.

Everything is fine when we setup a predefined number (i.e. destination field=802081234 where is 02081234 the external number at site B.

Basic telecom knowledge:
You must use "en-bloc" dialling with VoIP lines.

This means that you must collect all digits first and then send the complete dialled number to the VoIP trunk at once.

Do this :

System -> Telephone TAB :
Dial delay time : something between 2000 and 3000 Ms
Dial Delay count : empty

Shortcode : 9 ( or 8 )
Telephonenumber : .
Linegroup : your linegroup number
Function : SecondaryDialTone

Shortcode : [9]N; (or [8]N; )
Telephonenumber : N
linegroup : your linegroup number
Function : Dial

Do not forget the ; since this enables a time out for dialling.
Using this kind of shortcodes enables you to dial variable length numbers over a VoIP line wich is necessery if customer wants to break-out to PSTN on the remote site.

What happens is :
Because there is no dial-digit count set and the dial timer is set to 3000 Ms, a user can start dialling a number starting with 9 and each key pressed before the dial delay timer times-out will be added to the dialled number.
If a user stops dialling then after the time-out all digits are send to the VoIP trunk ( en-bloc ), a call will be setup.

ADDENDUM:

It is in my knowledge not possible to dial in on a IP Office and get a dialtone back in order to dial an extesion (local or not ).
Only with VM Pro you can do something like that.

We have also Avaya IP Office <->Definity installation over VoIP line between two countries. How Definity is configured we don’t know, but to dial in on a IP Office and get a remote (not local) dial tone back an to dial an extension is easy, with very standard setup (sc =8N, tn=N, lg=VoIP line toward Definity), without Secondary Dial Tone setup.

So, it meand that Definity has a different feature set, and that we can’t do the same with two IP office units.

intrigant, just curious, did you mean for your post which began with "Basic telephony knowledge:" to be as rude as it came across, or was it meant to be more like "Hey don't forget the ; so it dials enbloc"?

Peter

I am sure it was not meant to be rude, just a pointer to correct operation.

The additional explanation was quite thorough I i suspect if intrigant realy meant to be offensive he would have left it at the 1st lines

I have seem comments like that in other forums & think what are these people on, If you can help help, if not keep quiet but there is no need to insult. We were all Newbies Once & even the best of us still make mistakes (sometimes more than the newbies when we forget the basics :) )

Sorry, no offence on my first line.
I would only point out that a lot of people forget basic telephony functionality if VoIP comes along.
Although IP networks does not work the same as telephone lines, the protocols used actually are much the same.

My excuses.

Thanks for all nice leads...
I can’t resist asking a “newbie” question. If, based on “basic VoIP telephony functionality” we must use "en-bloc" dialing, how to comment that if we dial in our IP office, we can hear a clear dial tone from the other remote (Definity) side and we can dial out any local extension or external number?

One of the many valuable life lessons my wife has taught me, is if you think someone is being rude ask them if they are rather than reacting to said perceived rudeness :) My employer has been riding me a lot lately every time I make a small mistake, so perhaps I'm overly sensitive on the issue.

racas: simple answer - it's a definity not an IPO. You have a tad more flexibility (just a tad)

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back