Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Plan Questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkinney

MIS
May 8, 2003
NL
We are going to be adding additional employees in the near future and I am pretty much tapped out on the extensions I'm currently using. My dial plan is set up as:

1= 1 digit misc
2 through 6 are 3 digit extensions.
7= 1 digit dac
8= 3 digit extensions
9= 1 digit fac
0=attn
*= 2 digit fac
#= 2 digit fac.
I would have copied my dial plan but I could not highlight it to copy it to this thread so I hope this makes sense! What I would like to do is open up at least another 100 extensions that would be 3 digit. Such as using the 100-199 or 700-799, Is this possible? Also, what is misc and can I use it?
TIA
Tina

Do a 'display second-digit 1' to find out what is assigned under 'misc'. It may be possible to add extensions there. The other choice would be to change the fac that is assigned to '7' and make 7 'misc'. With misc you can't have single digit codes, so whatever is using 7 would have to become 7x.

Kevin

On disp second digit 1
0-4 are fac
5 and 6 are blank
7 = fac
8 = dac
9 is blank.

I am totally lost on this part..
Thanks,
Tina

I ran into a simular problem, I ordered more DIDs from Qwest and they assigned them to 8100-8119. After the order and assigmnet I realised that digit 8 was assigned DAC. # and * were set for 2 digits of FAC so I didn't have room to move the digit 8 DACs to the # and * series. I had to delete all the # and * FAC, assign it to 3 digits, turn them into DACs in the dial-plan, then reprogram the FACs. After that I had room to move the digit 8 DACs to the # and * DACs. Then I could finally change digit 8 to accept the 4 digit extensions I needed.

I hope you can make sense of that,

Brad

If you do a 'change second-digit 1' and make 5, 6, & 9 'extension' with a length of 3 you will get 15x, 16x, & 19x extensions (total 30). The other alternative is to convert to 4-digit dialing.

Kevin

Kevin,
This is what I was looking for! Definity side I'm only looking at an additional 40 people, but Audix I'll need approx. 200 due to an influx of outside reps. Is there a way to mix 3 and 4 digits? I'd like to keep my office 3 and assign new 4 digit to vm?
Thanks,
Tina

The problem with mixed dial plans ( 3 & 4 digit) is the switch doesn't know how many digits you will be dialing. If you dial a 3-digit extension the switch will wait about 5 seconds before the call completes (inter-digit timing)to see if there are any more digits coming. A work around is to dial the 3 digits followed by a '#' sign, which indicates end-of-dialing.

Kevin

I think the cleanest solution would be to convert to 4 digit extensions now. You may find in the future that you have to and if you start working with adding 3 digit groups under you current dial plan it will make it very painfull in the future.

for bradcarter; If you run into a situation like that again, which if you add more did numbers, )they probably won't match up with what you have now) Ask the lec if they will do translations for you, that way you don't have to mess with your dial plan.

I am interested in this thread. I called Qwest and the lowest DID range we have is 3000-3999. We have IP Phones and wanted to add them to a did but do not have one that falls into their range of extensions. All the IP phones are 1000- 1999 extensions.
Is there a way to add them without having a DID range of 1000-1999 ??

Although Definity extension digit length can be mixed, Audix can't. It's all 3 or all 4. So, your 200 additional subs will put you over the top when you look at your dialplan. When I ran into this I converted to 4 digit. Users made noise but got used to it. -Stan

This is a prime example as to why you should always implement pre Rls 11 switches with misc in every digit field except 0, & maybe * & # if they are being used as FAC's. You should then do all the admin on the 2nd digit table. That keeps it flexible for future changes.

In Post MV 1.1, you should always define everything as 2 digit strings (ie 11,12,13,14...,20,21,22... etc) rather than defining 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc. It means a bit more typing initially, but makes the whole dial plan much more flexible & easy to alter with future number changes.

In CM 2.0 you can break it down even further by breaking it down into 3 leading digits ( 100,101,102, etc). This makes it even more flexible. That doesn't mean you have to fill up 9 sheets of dialplan strings, just the ones you are using, but it makes new additions easy. Nothing worse than having to remove a hundred extensions to make a change.

Paul Beddows

Consulting, Avaya/EAS implementation, Training
Vancouver, Canada
E-mail avaya@vancouver.hm

If I'm understanding this right I can make my 7 field misc. then in the 2nd digit column make it DAC? This would appear to be a little easier to adjust to everyone switching all to 4 digits...my 7 is a DAC one digit that controls paging though, would just changing it to 77 work? Most of my phones have a page button so most people don't type 7 anyway.
Thanks,
Tina

Sheepdog,
Ask the lec if they will do translations for you, that way you don't have to mess with your dial plan.
If they are offering 3000-3999 just ask them to translate those and send you 1000-1999.

Tina: If you click on this link I posted an example for you:
It's an actual switch implementation (Abitibi in Northern BC - I believe it was Rls 9). It may help you understand it. You will notice that the main dialplan form has 1 to 7 all defined as "misc". 8 is defined as a FAC, because in this particular switch, AAR is being used and 8 is its access code, otherwise it too would be "misc". 9 of course, is also a FAC. * and # are under the "digit length 3" column, because I always implement switches using feature access codes in the form of *xx or #xx rather than wasting digit allocations on them. I am always suprised at the number of switches I have seen implemented with feature access codes all over the map.

On the second digit screen:

If you look at dig 5 for example you will notice that 0 is type DAC, number of digits 4. Those happen to be trunk access codes, in other words 5000-5999 can be assigned. (We used 4 digit trunk access codes for a reason, it has to do with personal CO lines & Audix). 1 though 5 are type "extension", digits 2. In other words 51,52,53,54,55. These happen to be the systems Call Park extensions.

The rest of the switch is all 4 digit extensions. I only defined the ones that are in use. For example, under digit 2, 2700-2799 & 2800-2899 are defined. there would be nothing to stop me from assigning a group of three digit extension under 6, in other words 260-269. It woudl have no impact on dialing (no long pause to see if another digit is going to be dialed). This is the power of using the 2nd digit table.

Hope this helps. By the way the excel sheet I linked to contains non-functioning macro buttons, so you might get a security warning opening it up.

Paul Beddows

Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for all of your help everyone with this! It seemed confusing to me. Pauls excel table breaks it down for comparison with the dialplan and makes misc (second digit) so much easier to use and understand for anyone else out there that needs help with the dial plan.

Paul

That would make a very nice FAQ file.

Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

Actually, never explored that FAQ section. I actually have lots of files that could go in there, since I used to write FAQ's for our corporate intranet before I retired.

Paul Beddows

Vancouver, Canada

Just looked at it, its a bit hard since its not html. What I might do is upload everything onto my own website & put a link there. There's tons of stuff. I should have some time next week.

Paul Beddows

Vancouver, Canada

Paul,
That would be GREAT. You have been such a big help to many of us on this forum! I think you deserve a million stars! Thanks for all of your advice and participation.
Have a great weekend.
Tina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back