Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dial into compay's nt domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
Can anyone help me dial in from my imac into my company's network, which is pc-based with nt 4 servers? Does anything have to be changed on the company's network if i'm just dialing up?

what about using a vpn client?

Will i be able to access my email on the exchange server 5.5?

Thanks.

You should be able to set the exchange server up so you can get at you emails from the outside, through your ISP. You will use IE to read, send and delete your email boxs as if you where at work. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

my exchange server has relaying disabled, so a user would only be able to retrieve, not send emails from their ISP. i guess i'm trying to find out if it is necessary to add (apple) protocols to the nt servers if a company user wants to dial into our network.

i also have a cisco 3005 concentrator for broadband vpn access.

You can access Exchange using OWA if its installed. To do it transparently though you'll need hosts files and ports 25, 110 and 389 open on your firewall which isnt a good idea...

If you are dialing directly into your company network from your Mac then TCP/IP should be all you need to connect. Unless you want to have Appletalk for Files services for Macintosh(a mac volume on your NT servers) the the Apple services don't need to be loaded. I haven't worked with an exchange server, is it IP based? If it is you should be able to use IE.

Is there a Netsceen application for the Mac OSX that will allow me to get through our firewall to use OWA?

I use Citrix ICA client to get to a Citrix server at my employer. It is secure, fast and makes my IS folks happy cause all my complaining is about the PC that is the Citrix server, and they understand PCs I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back