Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-in server callback problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluer8

Programmer
May 17, 2004
GB
I have a remote PC that I dial-in to. The PC is a new Dell Dimension PC with Windows XP Pro SP2 and a new Trust v92 USB modem. Everything is working normally; I can dial-in without a callback and perform tasks remotely. If, however, I request a callback, the dialog box pops up for the number to call back, it remembers the previous number inserted correctly, and I click OK but I never receive the return call - the phone does not ring. The remote PC is definitely dialling something because if I try to dial-in again after waiting for the failed callback, the phone line is engaged for a minute or 2. As usual, the remote PC has to dial '9' to obtain an outside phone line. I've set up this scenario many times before without a problem, and had a PC on this remote site before which called back perfectly. I've checked the Trust web site and it advises that it may be necessary to insert a "," between the number for an outside line and the normal phone number to create a pause in the dialling. I've checked the dialling rules aren't causing a problem (no number added for obtaining an outside line).

Is there any way of checking the number the modem is actually dialling?

Thanks streborr. I added "E1" into the 'Extra Initialization Commands' of the modem properties dialog and this now shows the dialled number in the modem log file.

From this I can see that for some reason the phone does not dial the last digit.

I can work around this by repeating the last digit in the callback number. If I find the cause of this I will post it here for the benefit of others that may experience the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back