Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-in properties in W2k3 AD fails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swedishthom

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2004
SE
Desperat need of help!

The problem has been posted earlier and I really are in need of a solution..
I have searched all the Internet for this problem and tried everything I possible can think of but haven´t found any solution.

After moving my remote access server from my Windows 2003 / Active Directory domain controller to a member server in the same domain I cannot access the dial-in property page in Active Directory users and computers.
This applies to any user in the AD:

Clicking the Dial-in tab I get the following error message:

Dial-in Page error
Could not load the Dial-in profile for this user because:
The network path was not found.

Clicking the "ok" option it displays the following:

"Dial-in page initialization failed".

All other tabs works fine.

Have not made any changes in the group policy nor anywhere else regaring the Remote Access.
Anyone got a clue? I would be able to define the network path somewhere?

Please Please !!! help My management are on my case everyday since they are in urgent need of remote access

Thomas

news@holmen.de

I have the same problem, anyone out there got any ideas?

Same problem here and no help whatsoever. I even tried going through the Microsoft online support website and was told online support is not available for Win Server 2003.

That's very helpful of them, really encourages their users to migrate over as they wish us all to do!

Hello Thomas,

I have had the exact same problem with not been able to use the dial-in page. The following did it for me with the help of Microsoft Support Team:

- be sure the Remote Registry Service is running
- be sure that for the following keys, the LOCAL SERVICE account has READ permissions:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg\AllowedPaths

(reboot your system to have the permissions active)

Ruben

Thanx Cimex1...

Enabled remote registry and it worked...
Scary! Since I have a high security policy I want do disable the remote registry service...I did so...

well anyways...now its working....very disappointed on MS who could support this online...

Thomas

The problem can sometimes be realted to migration issues if you migrate from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003.

Microsoft Premium Support:

I made some research on this issue. There seems to be a number of reasons for the issue. Actually it can be concluded as LOCAL SERVICE and someother well-known security principals are introduced with Windows 2003. If you have some dependency on Windows 2000 (such as having a Windows 2000 DC or upgrading a Windows 2000 to Windows 2003) there may be some problems with well-known security principals but actually I can't give you the exact reason for why this happened in your Windows 2003 server. But the permissions that I mentioned in my previous e-mail normally exists on a clear installation of Windows 2003 server. Also I can give you a link which explains one of the reasons for why some newly introduced well-known security principals don't have their default rights normally which they should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back