Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial a number after phone connects

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmfisher1969

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2003
US
We are new at using Aspect in Procomm....

I want to dial a phone number via Procomm; then, almost exactly when the phone on the other end answers (timing is critical), I want Procomm to dial three "9"s (this will allow me to access weather data).

So far, I've tried 2 things:

1. From the connection directory, I've entered the number, followed by several commas, then the three "9"s. This would work great if the phone always picked up on the first ring (so this option is out).

2. I've created a script:
proc main
dial 999
end proc

This script is called from the connection directory (I selected the "Start Script after Connection Made" option). However, this syntax is incorrect. I found alot of information on defining strings, integers, etc. and file transfers, but all I want to happen is have the modem DIAL three "9"s immediately after the connection is made.

Is this a possibility with Procomm? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Knob, but it didn't work. We tried all the following combinations on line 2:

1. connectmanual "999"
2. dialnumber "999"
3. connectmanual 999
4. dialnumber 999

In each case when we compiled, it produced the following error:

"Invalid token on line 2. Missing token on line 2"

Ah, I think this has become a dead issue all together. From Symantec documentation: You cannot dial a number, connect, and THEN dial more numbers. So, it's a limitation of the software unfortunately.... (Thanks knob, we tried that yesterday).

If the distant station answers consistently within a second or so you could set your dial string to the number followed by a number of pauses to equal that length of time (I think they are 1.5 seconds each) and follow those by the 999. Of course this would be going in blind and depending on how critical that timeframe was it may not work at all or every time requiring multiple re-dials...

good luck DT

Thanks det07. The problem is, sometimes the other line is busy; picks up after 1 ring; 2 rings; etc. Definately not consistent!

Couldn't you use something like if $Carrier and use a PAUSE for a certain interval?

if $CARRIER ;verify if connected.
pause 5
transmit "999^M"
else
errormsg "Sorry, not connected, or busy."
endif

The resolution to your Problem depends on your modem and it's AT commands. The Most versitile If found is Voice-modems, Which are designed to let you make full calls via your soundcards Mic & Speakers (not the ones which only work as answermachines)

I Presume your not dialing direct to a modem (because With the 'Connect' message you loss direct access to AT commands on most modems)

Try this
Connect to Procom, enter Command mode to your modem and manually Run in the AT commands e.g.

ATDT 1234567

wait for the call tobe answered, do you get a response from the modem when the call is answered? e.g.

OK

if you do then you can write your script e.g.
;_______________________________________________
Commandmode ; To talk direct to the Modem

Transmit "ATDT 123456^M" ; to dial the number

Waitfor "OK" 60 ; wait upto 60 seconds for "OK"

Transmit "ATDT 999^M" ; tell modem to dial 999 note this may not be standard 'ATDT' on some modems

;_______________________________________________

I have done this before for testing '999' calls using DISA Lines

Regards
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back