Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIAL 800 # FROM CERTAIN AREA CODE BEING DENIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeban

Technical User
Sep 28, 2002
US
hi all. the senario is this: a caller will dial an 800 # ,the caller connect to a menu then he can dial an extension the purpose is to save the caller to pay long distance charges.
the problem is when some callers from certain area codes with some prefix example (xxx-yyy-zzzz)dial in they will get a continous ring and no menu play.some callers from other area codes will connect with no problem. At&T said they dont see the problem because they are dialing the area code with no prblem but the problem they are not dialing from the same prefix(yyy).Is there any place to look to solve the problem.thanks for your help.
note: this 800 was working on option 61 till we migrate to an option 81c,then we started having the problem. Verizon did the programing for the new switch.
thanks again

It does not sound like the problem is with your PBX. If the problem exists only for people calling from certain NPAs, then there is likely a problem with how their local provider is translating calls made to your 800#. The difficulty in correcting this is that you'll have to determine who their LEC is and open a ticket with their LEC.

If the problem is consistantly not working from some area codes - have your 800 provider trace the call.

I would guess you have one or more T1s to the 800 provider. Trace these when you are making the call. it may be possible you have some bad trunk ports or bad voice mail ports.

Is this a new 800#? I've had recent issues when our carrier implements a new 800#, there has been similar problems. Go to your carrier. "if it don't ring, it ain't my thing"

Thanks guys
the issue is that 800# was working for years till we moved to a new location with a new 81c. then we started having the problem. you can call from texas you cannot call from diffrent state.

Is your 800# service switched or dedicated? In other words, does your 800# provider forward your 800 number to a DID on your 81C's DID trunks or is the 800 number dedicated to one of your 81C's T-1s?

we have had this 800 for 8 years prior to me joining the company. I have to check whether it is on t1 or did. please could you explain ? does it matter whether it is switched or dedicated.
thanks for your help

We are having a very similar problem in our office. We have a T1 and Meridian PBX and I have had 3 tickets into SPRINT to fix. Today they said that we have six channels on our T1 and when we get a call routed in when those six channels are BUSY that it would just ring to nowhere. SPRINT programmed it so that when it does that in the future that it will give the caller a BUSY signal instead of just ringing nowhere. We also have had our PBX since 1995 and it didn’t do this until we had to replace the SCSI hard disk about a year ago (SPRINT did the work) and we had to totally reload/rebuild all the software from a very old tape backup.

Does your auto attendant require DNIS? if so maybe the certain area codes that are dialing are not passing DNIS to the IVR or whatever automated system you are using.

Thank you all for your help.
We know what is the problem.After moving to the new 81c AT&T kept the old dnis pointing to the old circuit. Since our option 61c still up in the distant building using ds3 link to the 81c. all call that got through by going through the old 61c switch. we need to give the correct DNIS to the 800 numbers.
Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back