Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diagnosing a stop error 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxzart

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I have been having this problem for at least a month now. My computer would blue screen. Almost every time the stop error’s memory address was different. So I decided to format windows and try to start from scratch. Now I can't even get windows to install. I get to the point after it formats the drive and reboots. Once it gets to the installation screen it gives me another blue screen. I have run a DFT on the hard dive I have run a memory test they all passed. Then I decided to try a different motherboard, RAM, and a new power supply. I had no luck it still gave the stop message. Anyone have any ideas?

I know this is going to sound a little out there but given that we have exhausted most other things, you could try hooking your drive up to another pc and try loading your os from there. If it loads correctly, you have established 2 things. 1, that its not your drive and 2, its not your disk. That points directly at your hardware in the box. Sometimes diagnosis is a long and lonely trail mate;)

I tried using another stick of SDRAM that's known to work, and still the same IRQ BSoD at the same place where I stated above.

I don't think it's the disc because I've gotten as far as copying OS files. Bsod's are happening more constantly way before that point. HDD should be fine.

I'm now looking at the Mobo. Maybe the machine isn't worth a new mobo/cpu/heatsink/fan etc. At least I have the pci cards...

OK, so I've been running Win2K for a while now, and the hardware seems to be working fine.

This frustrates me as XP claims to support my hardware (unless I failed to check something).

Alas, it was the compatibility that was the culprit. HCL will be bookmarked.
Thank you all for your help! I'll give you stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back