Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diablo 2 only runs on administrator privledges only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

randybreck

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
I hope someone can help me with this. I can only run Diablo 2 from an acount that has administrtor privledges. I don't want my children to have administrative privledges, but I do want them to be able to play Diablo. I know this is a problem with certain games on XP, but does anyone have a solution. Waiting on Blizzard tech support ATT.

Do a 'google newsgroup search' in microsoft.public.windowsxp.games

for 'Administrative' and you will find many, many examples and workarounds..

Good Hunting..

[profile]

You need to make them a "power user" that will allow then to do more, but not as much as an admin.

Go into the control panel.
choose "Administrative Tools"
then "Computer Management"
tick the + next to "Local Users and Groups"
then click on "Groups"
right click on "Power Users" and choose "add to group"
Add the user you want to that group, that should sort it out for you.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks Turkbear I did find some possiblilities in the newsgroups. I searched the web for answers, but forgot the groups. As a note, all my other users are Power Users. It will only work with an administrators acount. If I get it to work I will post what I did for others. In the meantime I am still open to suggestions.

You could try to install the games into your childrens Documents and Settings\<profile> area instead of the standard Program Files area, as they would have all the necessary rights there. Games usually store game files where they are installed.

I finally found the solution by searching news groups. All I had to do was go to local security options and enable (Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on users only) I do not fully understand why this works, but it does. I hope this helps others as I see this is a comman problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back