Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DI-30 only showing half the drive name

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvin132

Programmer
Mar 31, 2005
DE
Hello all,

i have a DI-30 that worked for maybe two years now. After relocating it to another PC, it ceased proper function (not responding to commands under linux).
The drive isnt recognized by the BIOS, but Linux and Windows both recognize it, but the drive name shows something like:
(win) O s r a D - 0
(linux) O}s=r#a$ (and so on, there are actually highnumbered ASCII-Chars instead of readable letters)

its only every second letter being replaced by something unreadable. The drive type is correct, but it wont work. Loading/Unloading tapes is all working.

Anybody with that symptoms, too?

Well, some more info: Its a DI-30 with Firmware 4.12. Flashing doesnt work (no big surprise to me).
The jumpering is correct, its the same with master and cable select. Didnt try slave, though.

I hope someone can help me on this.

1) ... Try a new cable
2) ... Try hooking it up to a friends PC

If 1) works then ... fine.
If 2) works then either your mobo's IDE controller has a fault, or it's set incorrectly in the BIOS (RAID mode or something strange).
If none of the above works, then sorry ... it's a dead parrot.

-
[H]omer

Hi Homerz,
thanks for the answer.

The cabling is either correct for three cables or faulty with all three.
The drive doesnt work on at least two machines. I'll try that some more, but i guess i can replay the Monty Python sketch with it :(

Thats sad because the drive was a lovely unit and did its job well.

I had the same problem, turned out 80-flatcable caused problems. Switching to 40-flatcable solved that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back