Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DI-30 ejecting tapes after 2+ minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnbitner

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
US
I have 3 used tapes I got on ebay and a used DI-30. The drive installed fine in Windows 2K Server but when I insert any tape the drive starts up and then gets quiet, starts up again and gets quiet again, and then finally it ejects the tape. This process takes about 2 minutes. The tapes are used but appear to be in excellent condition when I open the tape door. Any suggestions on what the problem is? Drive heads or bad tapes or ??

Thanks!

I hate to say such a thing, but "me too, me too". Since last monday, no tape will load, I have exactly the same symptom as you.
So, anyone has an answer ? Should the drive be repaired or changed ?
Tia,
-- Dl

it's probably either a problem with the tapes header, or a problem with the head of the drive. the easiest way to test this is to stop windows from loading using the F8 button when it says "starting windows xx" then try putting a tape in, if it still kicks it out, it'll never take that tape. you also may want to try removing the left-rear screw from the drive, as it can sometimes press against the motor of the drive, causing issues like these and others...

[I'm using Linux, not Windows]
If I prevent the OS boot, the drive still ejects any tape I try to insert (and I have already removed all screws from the drive, since my first one got hit by the infamous left-rear screw problem).
Does this mean something is broken in the drive ?

You might try a new tape just to be safe (if one is available), if it still does it, you might have to find someone who does repairs.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back