Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"DHTML" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincenzo

Programmer
Jul 28, 1999
US
What does "DHTML" mean and is it different from HTML? What does the "D" stand for? I know HTML (or at least I think I know) stands for "hyper text mark-up language", but i don't know what the "D" stands for.

yeah!! i agree wiv vin... anyhow....<br>
<br>
Just askin that's all ... and being polite...<br>
<br>
Were are happy fellow DHTML'llers... (even if we dont know what it meant/stands for)!! <br>
<br>
Right guys(?)<br>
<br>
:)<br>
<br>
Karl.

DHTML = dynamic HTML.<br>
<br>
Essentially it's HTML that can be altered due to input. You can even do animated graphics with it. It's pretty cool.<br>
<br>
I think one of the best things about it, however, are the style sheets.

i was joking???<br>
<br>
argh...<br>
<br>
I give up...<br>
<br>
Karl.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Be afraid....<br>
Be very afraid.

Oh, you were joking.<br>
<br>
Oh goody. Then maybe you can answer a newbie question for me:<br>
<br>
How do you create and reference a style sheet for a web page, and would it be compatible for both Netscape and IE?

I got a better question: what in the world are you talking about?

Style sheets. I know how to program them directly into the web page that's using them to reference for font sizes, styles, and whatnot.<br>
<br>
Here's an example:<br>
<br>
<br>
&lt;style type="text/css"&gt;<br>
&lt;!-- /* hide from old browsers */<br>
<br>
H1 { background-color: green; font-style: italic; font-family: arial; };<br>
P.makemered { color: red };<br>
SPAN.highlighted { color: yellow }<br>
.forge { color: green }<br>
<br>
/* stop hiding */ --&gt;<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
You stick this in the &lt;head&gt;&lt;/head&gt; tags, and you're set.<br>
<br>
I heard, however, that there's a way to have this stuck into an include file to be referenced by web pages so you don't have to change every single web page that you're editing....<br>
<br>
I just don't know how to do it, and if there are limitations on broswers and what-not.<br>

Including stylesheets from other places...<br>
<br>
Two steps.<br>
1) Create a file with your stylesheet information in it. Make it exactly like you have it above.<br>
<br>
2) reference it in the &lt;head&gt; with the following:<br>
&lt;link rel="stylesheet" href="template.css"&gt;<br>
<br>
This references the file template.css and applies it to the entire page (and all SSIs too). To include the stylesheet in another directory, just reference it as you would another HTML document.<br>
<br>
I'm using this to currently convert several of our business groups over to a template. <br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
-Grebo

Thanks!!<br>
<br>
:)<br>
<br>
Will this be compatible for both IE and Netscape? I heard some ugly rumors that the sheets only work in IE....

I am a female programmer BTW. In Atlanta, GA. and I am not a scarcity. I am thinking of using DHTML to update a list of links on a page, when ever information is written into a file.<br>
When a report is run, the results are written into a folder. These reports are made to run in a browser, generating a .htm page when opened. <br>
I need to find a way to write the name of the report (already part of the filename) onto a separate page, which will then link back to the report.<br>
The report generater gives the path as an alias, and this path is not configurable within the program due to permissions. In short, I need a work around.<br>
Any ideas? Is cgi my best bet?

You're quite lucky... I was the only female CS major to graduate from my class. I'm also really the only one at work.<br>
<br>
HTML and DHTML can't read from files; they're simply not that powerful. You're going to need another language for certain.<br>
<br>
There are many to choose from that can read from files. Personally, I think that your best bet is to look into scripting languages and see what you can come up with. SQL and Cold Fusion are good for that sort of thing. I'm afraid that Perl is the one scripting language that I'm not up to speed on, so I can't help you there.<br>
<br>

god, this is the longest thingywotzzit in this place... make it 31 :)<br>
<br>
Karl.<br>
<br>
- it's all ancient greek to me...<br>
<br>
anyone know ancient greek?? i know CoBOL :)

I'm learning ancient Greek, actually :)<br>
<br>
I'll create a new thread if people don't want this to become the entry in the Guinness Book of Records....

thanks,<br>
I am looking into using a servelet which can call a c program which can both read and write to a file.. Have you done anything like this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back