Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinalas

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
PH
cant connect my win2000 clients to my dhcp server in win2k server ad (new to dhcp)

i'm using adsl with external modem
1 lan card

here are my server settings (static add from the isp)

ip add - 202.138.189.147
subnet - 202.255.255.248
gateway - 202.138.189.145

preferred dns - 202.138.189.147

dhcp settings (hope i'm not missing anything
scope - 192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.150
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

workstation settings
ip add - automatic
dns- automatic

if i change to client to be a member of the domain it says 'the specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted.

what iam missing? can u give a the complete details i need to change

ty

kinalas: Are you on a workgroup now? It is easy to do what you want on a workgroup. Make accounts for all workstations on the server in Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Users and Groups. Set a static IP address for your server (the internal 192.168, etc. IP address) in the TCP/IP properties. Add the DNS address of your ISP therein. Don't worry about the WAN IP; the router will catch it and set it up. Setup workstations to obtain an IP address automatically, but if it doesn't work, you can assign them static IP's within the internal IP range you want to set (and add your ISP's DNS). Configure DNS from scratch (DHCP won't work on a server unless DNS is configured). It will configure itself automatically if you use the wizard. Then go into DHCP and configure your server.
It is necessary to set up your router's utility (I don't use the same brand, my utility is online) so that the server, not the router, is responsible for DHCP management. You don't want two DHCP managers on a network, or they go to war and it gets pretty ugly. Disable DHCP in the router utility. Peruse the router's manual thoroughly.
After the server and router are configured together, configure workstations and shut down server and workstations. Restart the server first, then the workstations. I may have missed something; hope not. If you still have problems, write back. Good luck. whythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagain

I have to disagree a little with the remark not to have 2 DHCP servers. If you configure them with different renges in the same network. 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100 for 1 and 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.200 for the other. This provides redundency if one server fails... Thanks,

Matt Wray

greetings to all and thanks for all your support

yes, iam in a workgroup now (but i will promote to dc later)
the dhcp is working fine the workstation can log to the workgroup but still the issue remains

i cant browse the net

i can now ping the router (192.168.0.1)
i can ping the server (192.168.0.200
i can ping the wan ip - 202.138.189.147
but i cant ping my wan gateway - 202.138.189.145
i cant ping my dns - 202.138.128.1 & 2

without the router i have 2 cable going to a switch. One from the external adsl modem and the other from the nic of the server

then i just use the ff setting on my nic

ipc add - 202.138.189.147
subnet - 255.255.255.248
gateway - 202.138.189.145
dns - 202.138.128.1 & 2

and the browser is simply configured connecting to a lan. (no proxy) and no adsl icon is present

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're setup is:
ADSL modem <-> router <-> switch <-> server & PC's
Now, the modem gives the router the IP of 202.138.189.147
on it's WAN side, and the LAN side you it have set to 192.168.0.1. So far so good. Your server should be set to a static IP, 192.168.0.200 is fine. In this case I would suggest only letting the router pass out dhcp requests, disable that service on the server if it's on (this just confuses things). With this you have the settings you mentioned previously:

router:
wan - ip 202.138.189.147
wan subnet - 255.255.255.248
wan gateway - 202.138.189.145
(that seems a strange IP for a gateway?)
dns - 202.138.128.1 & 2
LAN IP 192.168.0.1

server:
ip - 192.168.0.200
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
gateway - 192.168.0.1
dns - 202.168.128.1 & 2

client PC's:
set to DHCP, will get settings mostly identical to that of server.

With this setup, there should be no problem browsing the web with any of them. UNLESS, you really do need a PPPOE dialer, which some DSL providers require (like Bellsouth). If that is the case, you need a DSL router that handles PPPOE (not all do), and you'd need to set it up with the name/pass, etc.
This kind of thing is so difficult to troubleshoot remotely... Some of us really need to see it, to know what's wrong. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

If you simply set up your Machine with a static IP and double-click IE, you are not using PPPoE. Which makes it all the more strange. Man, I'm at a loss. With the static IP on the WAN side of the router, and your able to ping up to the router, you should be able to get out... Hmmm, I just don't know... Thanks,

Matt Wray

OK, try this. Hook everything back up to the router like you had before. You ISP porovided IPs on the WAN side and the LAN side able to ping up to the router. Then turn you DSL modem off for 5 minutes. Power it back up and try to get out. My cable modem recognizes the MAC of my NIC. For me to change Machines (without a router), I have to reset the Modem to recognize a new MAC. You might try calling your ISP and telling them you have hooked up a new PC and it won't work. They may have your MAC stored on their side... Thanks,

Matt Wray

thanks for all your help. can really solve the problem even the isp can figure it out. anyway, added a nic to have this working. added nat from the rras service and now my clients can connect to the domain thu dhcp.

my concern now is this:
how can i configure the server so that only authorized domain users can surf the the net. and if i log-in in a win2000 machine i can surf the net even if i'm not connecting to the domain

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back