Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytupper

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am using Winroute to provide internet access to my LAN. This is my set up;

PC1 2x NIC (LAN and WAN) WAN connected to Cable modem.
PC2 1x NIC (LAN)

Using this set up I can gain access to the "internet" from either PC.

My problem is that if I go to PC1 and try and renew my WAN IP I get DHCP server unreacheable. This causes a problem as I use a dynamic IP adress provided by my ISP and after an undefined perios of time my connection is "dropped"

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

James.

Go to pc2 and change the n/w card provided by the dsl provider and then configure winroute, After configuring winroute there assign the ip address of the pc1 computer to access internet, This way you can access internet as well as you can use the ip address provided by the isp

Hi,

you might want to check your packet rules,
if your firewall is closed thight, you may need to allow dhcp traffic (dynamic ip addressing) on your interface to the cablemodem

on your "wan" interface, add a rule :
"udp any host port 67 -> any host port 68

port 67 is the dhcp server
port 68 is the dhcp client

Olivier

Olivier Ceuppens

NetCom Engineer

Xircom Europe Middle East and Africa
(HeadQuarters in Belgium)

Thanks Oliver I am no longer using Winroute firewall for this exact reason. I did have a packet filter created to allow dhcp traffic. would work only on an ip refresh and not if the lease had expired. I think it was an issue with the firewall software, I have experienced the same problem with the Mocrosoft ISA software which was due to be resolved in service pack 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back