Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bencher

Technical User
Jun 23, 2002
NL
I recently re-installed solaris 8 and now dhcp is not working right. I get this message at starting up:
le0: no carrier cable is disconnected or hub link test is disabled

When I do arp -a
is says
le0: 10.0.0.150 mask 255.255.255.255 SP etc
le0: 224.0.0.0 etc.

When I do some pings the arp cache also sees my other computer and the adsl modem(which is also the dhcp server).
But I dont get internet access and the message no carrier etc.... comes back at booting.

What is going wrong?

You could try using sys-unconfig to remove your network settings ( plus locale, hostname and a few other bits ).

When you reboot, you get prompted to specify your network settings etc. It's a bit like reinstalling without needing to reload the software or mess about with the disks.

I'm assuming something may have got messed up somewhere when you last upgraded, and that you don't have a faulty network cable?

Also, your subnet mask - is that what it was set to before? Not 255.255.255.0 ??

No,sys-unconfig did not work.
arp -a now shows

le0 SpeedTouch.lan 255.255.255.255 00:etc mac
le0 unknown 255.255.255.255 SP 08:etc mac
le0 Base-address.Mcast.net 240.0.0.0 SM 01: etc

na een ping naar mijn pc staat er ook in.

le0 linux.lan 255.255.255.255 00:etc

Well, I suppose it's sounding like the reinstall of Solaris 8 might have left the Ethernet drivers in a mess, possibly.

Did you have the same patches in before, when DHCP worked, as now when it doesn't? If so, are they the latest recommended version? It might help to post the output of 'ifconfig -a', which might give a bit more of a clue.

Also, are you definitely sure the cable / NIC are both sound?

hey,
It worked after I did a new logon. Thanks. But I screw it up after a logoff and a shutdown by power button. There is no way to get it start solaris. I am gonna installed it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back