Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp

Status
Not open for further replies.

iptuser

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
GB
I have a switch which is being used for IPT, the set up is that a single port is used by IPT phone and P.C. Each VLAN - Data, voice will need to have a separate IP address via DHCP scope. So port 1 have data Vlan 2, voice vlan 3, port 2 data vlan 2, voice vlan 3 etc up to port 24. I also have a separate DHCP set up with the different scopes

VLAN 2 IP range 10.2.0.0
VLAN 3 IP range 10.3.0.0

Th eidea is that the PC and Phones pick up the different VLAN/ IP address

The switch will be connected in two different ways as te lan goes on

Option 1 Switch is connected to the Phones/ PC but also the DHCP server is also connected to the switch

Option 2 The switch connetced to the phones/ P,C but now the switch is connetced to a router which is connected to another switch which the DHCP server is connetced to- hop one

If I want to extend this so that switch port 10 has data vlan 2 but now have voice vlan 15 and so has a difference IP Address to the other Voice vlans/ phones

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding your question, so not sure if this is what you're looking for. The commands for voice/data vlan membeship are:

switchport access vlan xxx
switchport voice vlan xxx

If you want another voice vlan, you'll have to define it on the router and create a DHCP scope just like the others, and make one of your switchports a member.

The phones are cisco

Phone plugs into the switch port and via CDP picks up the Vlan number in my case vlan 3, the P.C will pick up vlan 2. The question is now - the phones is aware that it is assigned vlan 3 due to CDP and does a broadcast for it`s ip address in the DHCP - how does the DHCP know to give it the address range 10.3.0.0 in my example and how does the same DHCP server know to give the P.C a range in 10.2.0.0. At this point the phone and the DHCP are all connected to the same switch.

To continue with this I configure another port on the same switch but this time I wish to assign vlan 4 to the phone/ voice. I create a new scope in the same DHCP and assigned a new range 10.4.0.0 again how does DHCP now assign the new range to the phone who is a member of vlan 4

Extending this further. The phones are on switch 1, the DHCP is on switch 2 separated by a router again how does the DCHP assign the correct ranges- does it use IP Helper per vlan if so how

thanks

Typical configuration for a port connected to a phone/computer

interface FastEthernet0/3
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2
switchport mode trunk
duplex full
speed 100

We are using a Mitel system, and, as I understand the DHCP process, it requests a dhcp address from our main DHCP server but is rejected via options 130/132 set on our main DHCP server, the phone returns to the phone switch and receives an address from the local phone switch.

Hope this helps, your mileage may vary.............

Typical configuration for a port connected to a phone/computer

interface FastEthernet0/3
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2
switchport mode trunk
duplex full
speed 100

We are using a Mitel system, and, as I understand the DHCP process, it requests a dhcp address from our main DHCP server but is rejected via options 130/132 set on our main DHCP server, the phone returns to the phone switch and receives an address from the local phone switch

Please don't follow that advice, you don't need to configure trunks, just access ports with an Access and a Voice VLAN. Plus why would you want to hard-code the speed & duplex? this causes more issues than it solves.
Search on here for Voice VLAN's and you should find enough information to help you out.

There are also design guides on CCO that detail the switch configurations.

Andy

Sounds like you need an ip helper-address on your Voice and Data VLANs pointing to your DHCP Server.

You can use the same DHCP Server with a scope for each subnet or you could use dedicated DHCP Servers, one for computers and one for phones, just change the ip helper-address to point to the proper DHCP Server.

Here is how I do a typical Voice and Data VLAN combination:

interface Vlan2
description Computers
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 192.168.1.2

interface Vlan3
description VoIP
ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 192.168.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search