Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP/WINIPCFG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWayne2k

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I have a 3com isdn modem that has dhcp installed and is conn. to the internet. I have all of my Win98 pcs getting internet access to the internet via the 3com router and are getting ip's from the dhcp router. Two of the computers, one a win98 and the only winxp home computer that i have on the network cant' seem to conn. to the internet. THey don't get an ip from the dhcp server(3com modem) I have run winipcfg on the win98 and tried to release the ip that it has of 169.*.*.* but this doesnt work I renewall with this utility and it hangs for a long time, then it comes back and tells me that it couldnt find a dhcp server. THe cat five cable is good because I have another computer hooked up here and it works great, I tested this other one and I get nothing. THe winxp home is the same thing, 169.*.*.* add. i conn. both the win98 and xp on the network and i can ping and see both pcs, win98 to xp and xp to win98 but that is it. I cant seem to get rid of that 169 scheme. Does anyone have any info on this? Please helP!!!

Napegator,

Those 169.*.*.* addresses are Windows assigned addresses from Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA). This "feature" in Win98 and XP provides an automatic IP address when the TCP/IP is set to automatically acquire an address and a DHCP server can not be found or does not respond.

You say the cat5 is good because you have another computer in the same room and it works fine. Did you try switching the cable from the good one to the bad one?

Can you ping the router from the computers that do not get addresses? Try setting static addresses on the computers and see if you can get to the internet.

Can you provide a bit more detail on the ISDN and the 3Com modem/router?

The Old Man

Also do you know how many IP addresses in your ISDN box's DHCP pool? May be it is just not enough for all you PCs.

I have tried setting static ip's, but the computer doesn't conn. to the internet because it needs the gateway that the modem provides (dhcp server) and I put the gateway on the tcp/ip settings, but it won't conn. The isdn modem does not have a pool of addresses, it only has to option to turn dhcp on or off. So there shouldnt be a problem of there not being enough for the pcs.
I can't ping the modem/router with the computer, even when i put a static ip on it.
And I did try the cable from the one that has the internet available on the bad pc, but i doesnt work. I know that it's not the network card because I have changed it 3 times.(diff. network cards-new)

From what you describe, there is a basic networking problem in the computer itself. It is either in the protocol stack or the adapter. I know you say you have used three different ones but the slot could be bad.

Do the following:

- Do whatever NIC diagnostics are provided with the NIC.
- On the XP machine, do a "Net Diag" from a command prompt
- On both machines, do "IPCONFIG /ALL" and copy the response and paste it back here in a post.

The Old Man

Have you done a renew and release on each machine and a shut down startup "Recycle"? Do you have any other security precautions. What about the firmware for the 3Com is it up to date? Route once; switch many

One additional note if your xp maachine keeps reverting back to 169.254.xxx.xxx you havea t least four issues to address.
Your pc booted up faster then your modem
Your being prevented from obtaining a DHCP lease.
You do not have a working ethernet connection between your PC and the cable modem. Check lights connections.
Your PC has multiple network interfaces.

I Lean toward the TheOldMan346 comments above about dhcp. Route once; switch many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back