Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Windows 200 professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2002
US
Does windows 2000 professional need to renew the lease for an IP everytime you restart the workstation? Is there way to stop this? It doesn't get a new IP but it does renew the lease on the existing IP everytime i restart my workstation.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JIm

it depends on your DHCP settings. if it setup for just one day, it may release and renew on the next day.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

It is setup for one week, but everytime I restart the computer it updates the lease date. For example:

If my IP is 10.100.54.60 and the lease obtained is 9/21/04 11:53am and the lease expire is 10/01/04 11:53am

If I restart in 5 minutes it will be:

Obtained lease: 9/21/04 11:58am
expired lease: 10/01/04 11:58am

Which leads me to beleive that it is renewing the lease on a restart, even though the IP does not actually change.

Thanks,
Jim

When the comptuer restarts, it actually releases the IP

can't remember what the internals were of it...but basically dhcp remembers the last machine to get that IP so if it comes up like from a erstart it gets the same IP right back and renews the lease

what you set in dhcp is as if the machine were on for that many days, then it would renew the lease

i don't think there's a way around it though..as far as I can think of off the top of my head anyway

this is default behavior though

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back