Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Static Route Option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danbiggs

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2000
GB
Hi -
I need to push out a static route to some clients and I'd rather do this through our Windows 2000 DHCP server if possible. I've found scope option 33 - Static Routes, but have no idea how to configure it. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

The machines in question are servers in a server farm, not usually logged in to. We don't use machine logon scripts but I could use that as an option. I just thought it would be more elegant to use DHCP to push out IP settings, after all that's what its for!

well.. you can add a persistant route using route add, so that the route will always be in the routing table.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

danbiggs,

The static route option relies on using pairs of addresses. Go to the option in the scope and then add two entries. The first address is the IP destination and the second is the gateway for that destination.

Eg. You want all machines in that scope who attempt to access 203.10.89.2 to go through your second router at 192.168.1.254. Simple add 203.10.89.2 as the first IP address then 192.168.1.254 straight after it. Continue on with as many pairs as you want.

Hope this helps.

Thanks DylanThompson, it appears this option is onlyl for specifying host routes as you describe and not network routes as I was trying. Should work though as I can get away with adding a small number of host routes in this way.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back