Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Static Route Option 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danbiggs

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2000
GB
Hi -
I need to push out a static route to some clients and I'd rather do this through our Windows 2000 DHCP server if possible. I've found scope option 33 - Static Routes, but have no idea how to configure it. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

What are you attempting to do with static routes?

I have just had a look at this and a quick play and I don't think will be appropriate unless you are looking at installing host routes (/32) into the DHCP Clients routing tables.

The option 33 works by you entering IP address pairs - route followed by gateway (next-hop) address - i.e. 172.16.0.0, 10.1.1.1. You can add multiple routes in a list. The problem seems to be the client installs the route with a /32 mask -

Destination Mask Gateway
172.16.0.0 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.1

It looks as though this is rarely used now anyway as it was only apparently useful in classful networks:

I am temporarily adding static routes via a login script at the moment until I sort the rest of the network out.

Good luck

Andy

Thanks ADB100, I had previously only tried adding network routes and couldn't get any results. I will try adding host routes as I only need to modify the routing to a small number of explicit hosts.

anyways.. yes host routes are all I could get it to map using DHCP.. if you role it out via a logon script, then you can map networks.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back