Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP - Some surf....some can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzPooks

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
US
Most of our workstations have been 'ghosted' and the Ghostwalk diskette run to change the SID. This was done by the prior IT team. These workstations are located at various jobites. We have just started implementing DHCP at these job sites. Some workstations have no problem with the DNS, GATEWAY, and IP given to them from the DHCP server. They can surf fine. Other's who receive the same DNS and GATEWAY (different IP of course) cannot surf. But if we input the EXACT same information in statically, they can surf. All of us are at a complete loss as to why this is occurring.

Please Help!!!

Thank You,

Sounds like to me that the workstations are not picking up the dhcp server. If you do a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew, what happens ? If you do not get the correct ip setup from your server, then there is a problem with either wins or your workstations account in the domain. Let me know.

CNE, MCSE, SCSA, CLS, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, CCNP, MCNS, IP Telephony, CVoice, CSS1, CCIE and CISSP(prog)

Noble Computing, Inc.
Consulting
kshaffer@noblecomputing.com

It picks up all the info. from the DHCP server just fine. ipconfig /all indicates that it does. I can enter the exact SAME info. that the DHCP server is pushing out statically, and they can surf. We've released. renewed, flushed DNS, registered DNS, changed to a workgroup and then back to the domain, changed computer names, everything we could think of and dynamically assigned IP's will not let the User's surf. Change it back to static, with the same info., and they can surf. It has stumped a few people.

Cheers

Post the results of ipconfig /all from one that works and one that doesn't. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

You can count me in to the few who were stumped, maybe it's time or try to upgrade service pack:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back