Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP services over WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

colophon

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
US
Client is Win2k / SP4.
DHCP server is NT4.0 with standard MS DHCP service running.

Client is normally is location A. DHCP is served by a local DHCP server in locations A. Client travels to location B. Location B gets DHCP service from location A, over WAN link. Client from location A cannot get DHCP info while in location B. Client must be statically addressed. All other users in location B get DHCP service without problem. Client then travels to location C. Location C gets DHCP service from location A as well. Client has same problem in location C. Cannot get DHCP info, and must be statically addressed. I tried 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew' while client was in both locations, reboots, etc. The DHCP server is the same for all locations, so, DHCP REQ's are going to the same IP, and I know DHCP REQ's are gettign to the DHCP server, since the local clients at those remote locations get DHCP without problem.

Am I missing something???

When user is at location b or c, try a pathping and see where the packets are dropped. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"To fear the worst oft cures the worse."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616); English dramatist, poet.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

colophon,
I agree with Glenn, try also to get some network info (traces, ip accounting, sniffer) from the Layer 3 devices in between, you might catch a flow or the TCP info you need from the troubled device within the flows in those routing devices? Have tried reinstalling TCP/IP in the device? Good luck!

Jose Luis Martin Cenjor, CCNA, CCNP
HP Global Technology Solutions

Appreciate the help & suggestions. Although I was looking at it from the client. It seems as though the client (from location A)is the problem. The client(from location A)is the traveling machine, and no matter what facility this client goes to (location B or C), it cannot get DHCP info from the DHCP server (in location A)across the WAN. I know that the DHCP service is sending info across the WAN links, since the local (meaning users who work in the location B or C facility everyday) DHCP clients get the information without problem. I think, for some reason, the traveling client refuses to look anywhere else but the "location A" VLAN segment it came from, for DHCP services. We had/still have a similar problem involving a move to a QIP DHCP server. When I turn on the DHCP services on the QIP server, and turn off the NT DHCP services, the clients cannot find the QIP DHCP service, even after they are well out of their lease period. They just come up with that "169.254.blah.blah" Windows 2K IP address, the "I can't find the network" IP address. Don't get me wrong, I will take the steps suggested, and see what I can see, but I think the problem lies with the client.

What are you using for subnet masks. Silly question, but trying to cover the bases. (Turn off the APIPA on the client, place the DHCP address in the hosts file of the client, and then see what happens at the remote sites.)

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back