Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP service not starting upon reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerboy

MIS
Jan 17, 2006
US
my DHCP service is not starting on my computer upon start up. I will start the service, change the setting to automatic, but on the next restart, the service doesnt start.

when looking at the services list, next to DHCP it says unknown under start up type and it is blank under status.

anybody have a fix for this?

I am running Windows XP SP1

thanks

Are you talking about the DHCP client service? You need to set TCP/IP to use DHCP in order for it to start automatically.

in my network settings everything is set to obtain IP address. but the DHCP service under control panel/admin tools/services fails to start upon a reboot. the status says unknown even if i set it back to automatic.

nothing directly related to the service.

there is an error indirectly related to the DHCP service not starting

"Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted".

*kick*

i am still having this problem. any help would be appreciated.

seems to be an issue with the service not starting upon reboot, even if it is set to start automatically.

Is the network neighbour icon shows an Esclamatory (!) sign? does it says minimum or no connection?

If not then try doing an IP release and renew:
ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

the DHCP service isnt starting.

i have a perfect connection if i start the service manually, but it wont start automatically even after I set it to start automatically.

I get a light on my network card even, but no connection until the service starts.

no exclamation point.

Have you tried reloading the NIC driver?

Do you have two NIC's?

Are you sure the NIC is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back