Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadonay

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
AR
Hello,

I am running XP Professional as a gateway to Internet at my house. I need to get a dhcp server program to install. Could you recommend any good free software?

Thanks!

Regards, Gadonay.

Get Proxy. I assume you want to share your internet connection. Also try going into the Network Connections menu(via control panel or start menu) and click Create a New Connection. You should choose advanced(this is from memory) and then incoming. That should accomplish about the same. There's also a Home Networking Wizard(or something along those lines) that you can use as well. It's better by far.

James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician
Associate DCSE for Desktops
Associate DCSE for Portables
(D.ell C.ertified S.ystems E.ngineer)

Update:
Left click your desktop one time, then hit F1 on your keyboard. In the help search in the upper right, put in network wizard. On the left after it searches, choose Start the Network Setup Wizard. Just run through and set it up. Very easy.

James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician
Associate DCSE for Desktops
Associate DCSE for Portables
(D.ell C.ertified S.ystems E.ngineer)

sykotik,

thanks for your advice, but I already have a Windows XP Sahring Connection which is a Proxy. I have internal PCs configured with fixed IPs and I want them to be dynamic using DHCP client in them and some sort of apllication (which I am asking if it exists) on the Server (Win XP Professional which does not have DHCP Server option included).

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot again!

Regards, Gadonay.

ICS provides DHCP. Just set the clients to 'obtain an IP address automaticly' rather than to use fixed or static IPs. They will broadcast for a DHCP server and the ICS computer will return a valid local IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back