Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Server configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxfish2

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I'm trying to install a DHCP Server at home.

I've installed the application, configured the dhcpd.conf file, and got the server to start...

It creates the leases file just fine...

It says it's listening on a particular lan card, with a particular IP address and port number...

So, it appears as if it's working...

However, none of the clients that I'm trying to boot can see the DHCP Server...

The server is on a 7.1 RedHat box...

I'm attempting to boot both an HP-UX box and a Sun Solaris box...

Again, neither of these boxes seems to see the Server...

They're all on the same switch, and the Server is plugged into the correct switch port...

What could possibly be wrong?

The IP address of the Server NIC card is: 19x.xxx.xxx.1

The IP address of the subnet is: 19x.xxx.xxx.0

The netmask address is: 255.255.255.0

The broadcast address is: 19x.xxx.xxx.255

The range is: 19x.xxx.xxx.2 19x.xxx.xxx.15

I can ping the 19x.xxx.xxx.0 from the clients, but cannot ping the 19x.xxx.xxx.1, which is the real IP address of the internal NIC card...

And again, neither system can see the Server, when they attempt to obtain an IP address...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Joe F.

Hello Joe, did i misunderstood something ? You wrote that youre be able to ping the 19x.xxx.xxx.0 ? This adress is a network adress !!! No box will be able to ping such an adress. An example: Your Server must have be an adress like 192.168.0.1/24 (255.255.255.0)an the other boxes must have be an adress in the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx/24 (xxx>0 !!!). You wrote that you use a switch. Also make shure, that the DHCP server port is in the same VLAN. Check it if you have a telnet access to that switch.

Michael

Hi Michael,

When I start the dhcpd server, it tells me that it's listening on IP 19x.xxx.xxx.1, but I cannot ping this address...

I tried to ping 19x.xxx.xxx.0, and was told that I needed to use the ping -b option...

When using the -b option, I can now ping 19x.xxx.xxx.0...

Strange, but true...

Now, having said that, I decided to forget about DHCP, and have since changed to static IP address, all across my lan...

(I would still like to figure this out, although it's not a priority at the moment...)

Have a great day

Joe F.

Hello Joe, just a further note, one of my collegues told me that the option -b stands for broadcast (any host of this subnet. Try to ping another host with a static adress from your DHCP Server. If you get a reply, your servers adress should be work.

Cheers
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back