Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Scope a different subnet than server IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyCorbett

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
I know that sounds confusing, and believe me it is. I am fairly new to Windows 2000 Server but here is what I am trying to do. I have my DHCP server with an address of 192.168.2.52, yet I want the scope to hand out addresses in the range of 10.0.2.100 to 10.0.2.200. I set it up and can get a few clients to get addresses in that range, but if the are released and renewed I either get and "can't find DHCP server" error or a denial of access error in trying to renew. First of all, is this even possible? Or does the DHCP server need to be on the same subnet? I have IP helper addresses in my Cisco 2611 to point to the 192.168.2.52 address, but it does not seem to be working. Ok, now that I have exposed my ignorance, can any one enlighten me?

I'm pretty sure the DHCP server needs to be in the same subnet as the scope it's serving. If you can't change the IP of the server, try adding a secondary IP address for the server in the 10.0.2.0 subnet. It's set the advanced properties of TCP/IP on the server.

Not possible. How can the machines talk to the DHCP server if they're on totally different subnets? Best bet would be to change the IP address of the DHCP server.
[smile] ________________________________________
Check out

Yes, it can give out addresses for other subnets. Just create the scopes on the DHCP servers and point your routers towards the DHCP server.

The router's job is to separate broadcast domains. The router will not forward the broadcast, but will change the packet from broadcast to unicast. Some routers use ip helpers, or DHCP server forwarding addresses. In addition, Microsoft uses a DHCP Relay Agent service.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Sorry, I skipped over the Cisco 2611 part. If you have the ip helper address set, then the you may want to take it out and then put it back in, or reload the router. If you have a sniffer, try watching what happens. If not, the server's netmon should be able to see the DHCP requests coming into the server.

Is the WS able to get a DHCP address after a reboot?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back