Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Request/Finding Router... problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midstream

Programmer
Jan 15, 2004
US
I've got a single 4621SW phone that will be stuck in the DHCP Request mode if using DHCP. If I manually address the phone, it's stuck in Finding Router...

Every phone in the building works, except this one.

What do you think I can do to clear this phone?

Thanks,

Phil

Begin by resetting the phone to defaults.
Reset to Factory: MUTE button then R E S E T # (that is, MUTE 73738#)

Thanks TJ, already tried that and MUTE 25327# to CLEAR the values.

The phone boots with 2.9.1 firmware. I can get into it enough to either force it to use DHCP, or force it to use statically assigned IP addresses.

If it's setup to do DHCP its either not really broadcasting DHCP or it's not responding to the DHCP server. You can see the DHCP prompt and the numbers just keep counting up like there's a VLAN problem. No other phone acts like this.

If the phone is statically assigned all the values, the phone can't seem to find the router. It displays "Finding router..." for a minute, then comes back with the "Bad Router * to program" prompt.

Check you lan config on this port against a known working port. Sounds like misconfiguration on the LAN port to me.

If you've done all the usual troubleshooting*, you may have to believe you have a faulty phone set and will need to send it in for repair or just replace it.

*Some of the troubeshooting I guess you have tried: verify DHCP scope has available addresses; verify the static address is available; verify your static settings for DNS, subnet, etc.; try a good working phone at the "bad" location; connect the phone at a "good" working location; verify you have enough IP phone licenses available...etc.

Yes, tried all that thanks. I was hoping someone may have seen this before and would be able to tell me it's a known issue and the workaround is.....

Other phones work fine on this LAN port and this particular phone has the same troubles on totally different networks, different sites...etc...

Happy New Year everyone!

I have some 4610, that where setup for VPN access, it seams that once that is done, there are useless for anything else. I can not get it to clear or be used as normal IP phones anymore. I would say call it in as a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back