Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Reporting all Addresses are USED

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishinSGT

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2k Server Reporting:

All 50 addresses in pool are currently in use when in fact I only have 28 nodes at that location.

What I have done so far:

1. Cleared the DHCP Pool

2. Stopped and restarted DHCP Services.

3. Verified that in fact I only had 23 Addresses Leased.

4. Rebooted Server.

5. Searched Vigorously through the MSDN and will continue my search til I find a resolution.

The Server is for my Police Department and I have about 5 nodes that cannot gain access.

Also Once I cleared the DHCP Pool the Server is still reporting 27 Addresses in use.

As if I had Reserved those addresses or put them in "another location that I cannot clear.

Any Light that can be brought on this attention would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your Time,

Duane Griffin
City of Lake Wales

If you have any RAS servers running I believe the RAS servers get like 10 addresses from the DHCP servers. Might wanna check to see if this has happened.

Good Luck

[1] Double click on Address Leased. Right click on each leased IP address and delete them one by one;

[2] Refresh the 'Address Leased' [F5] and check that only connected (28) hosts are started leasing IP addresses;

[3] List your 28 users and MAC addresse of their PCs.

If the above does not work, let me know.

Thank you both for your help and advise I really appreciate this.

This is what I found that worked, which you probably already know but I have not experienced anything like it before.

1. I had 27 addresses that were not being used at all, anywhere on the DHCP Server.

The fix that is working so far.... looks like a long night!

1. MSDN: check addresses for verification, it seems they lost there verification status. And I had to Verify the addresses that was in that pop up window.

2. MSDN: Reconcile Addresses, after I verify the addresses was valid for the subnet (/26) I had to "reconcile" them.

3. Then delete the Addresses and the address that had a description " This Address is already in use" from the DHCP Table.

4. Then Reboot all clients that was trying to recieve an address initially and was denied and the ones that had that description beside it.

5. In typical Microsoft Form this is long and tedious, but hopefully I will be out of here before 6pm.

Again thank you both for your input and taking time to help me with this matter, hopefully I will be able to return the favor some day.

I am also on every Cisco Forum available in tek-tips and I will be glad to help with that if you have any questions. I am a little more familiar with Cisco.

JameelMS ANYTHING That would make my life easier or if any of you have a solution that is simplier than what I have found I would be Glad to try it. and I am very interested in Network Control Software that is FREE that is a good price.

Thanks Again for your time and input
Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back