Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP relay over vpn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvleaze

ISP
Mar 24, 2006
US
Hello, is it possible to use the DHCP relay option on a pix to send requests to a server over a site to site vpn link?

I have a main site with a windows 2003 dhcp server. And 2 branch offices, all connected via site to site vpns.

I am using pix 506e's. But can't get the dhcp relay option working over the vpn tunnel.

Dont think so and I wouldnt do it anyway. The Pix can act as a DHCP server. If for some reason your connections goes down of the tunnel is down everyone who cant get an address is screwed.

Whats the purpose? Is it for tracking PCs? Curious. I had these thoughts once a long time ago and wrote a script for this reason to update computer info in Active Directory.

Free Firewall/Network/Systems Support-

Well at the remote site they have some static pcs and printers that are in the middle of the ip range.

The pix as far as I can see can't have ip reservations and so forth like win2k2 dhcp server does.

Plus I can centrally track and monitor DHCP. They don't use active directory.

Plus if the link goes down, they can't see the DNS server at our main office anyways. So they are down no matter what.

We don't have a dns server at the remote site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back