Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Range - Setting up new Scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonb007

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
We have a network with the following info:-

Server IP 172.24.53.2
Subnet 255.255.255.128
Gateway 172.24.53.1

All the clients have static IP addresses but we want to change them to they can obtain an IP address from the server. What is the maximum range I could specify to setup a scope? I cannot change the subnet mask as the router is
under an Local authority contract (and they won't change this due to remote access/other reasons). There is only 1 server on the network.

Thanks.

Using a class C subnet mask.

You would have only a range of 3-127 as the max. But normally I would keep a block of about 20 addresses for network devices, depending on the size of the office.

So I would block out 1-20, and have a pool of 21-127.

You can't use 127 because that is the broadcast address, max is 126.

Yes sorry you are right about that. I wasn't thinking.

Thanks for the replies, yes I thought that would be the range as tested on setting up a w3k server. However, the local authority of the school said they should have a total of 240 ip address from those server ip/subnet varibles I stated. Just wanted to make sure I was right and they were wrong !! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back